Posted by Helz
Haweswater, Cumbria
Sunday, July 5, 2009 - 09:30 AM
Until: Sunday, July 5, 2009 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
SWMBO told me about this this morning... Sounds funs.... Little does whe know how much of a boy scout I used to be... We're up for a bit of camping action...

bring it!:slayer:

oh and numptyhead... i've already added you...i.e. Lolita +1 :rolleyes:

I've just been to High Force again yesterday as I fancied a drive in the nice weather. Took a pic crappy phone camera :bang::-

IMAGE_0792.JPG

also got the car in the car park :cool:

IMAGE_084.jpg

You needed a D40 with you ;) Its not a bad drive to High Force like.

Please note that I am simply asking some friends on a walk - neither myself nor Fiatforum takes any responsibility or liability for injury or loss - everyone is responsible for themselves and having the correct equipment, clothing and food/ drink. If you're new to this, myself and other experienced walkers can make some recommendations later (y)

I can't come then lol

This is some way away, I could be back to peak fitness for this. Is it all in a days work? Who's in charge of blister duty?

You needed a D40 with you ;) Its not a bad drive to High Force like.

I can't come then lol

This is some way away, I could be back to peak fitness for this. Is it all in a days work? Who's in charge of blister duty?

Coat your feet in vaseline, get some good boots (trainers won't do!) and get them worn in well and bring some blister plasters :) We'll be taking it steady.

Last edited:
OK, for those coming who HAVEN'T got walking boots, it's time to go out and buy them and start breaking them in. I'd recommend going to a good outdoors shop wearing some thick socks (or buy some there) and speak to the salespeople to find what suits you - different brands suit different foot shapes. You may need to buy a half or full size bigger than normal to accommodate your foot shape/ socks. There's no need to spend silly money for a summer walk, but you will need more than trainers as there are some rocky bits and it may be slippy if it's wet - £40-50 will probably get you what you need. The more expensive/ solid your boots, the more breaking in they need. Wear them around the house and for shorter, lighter walks to start off with until they are comfortable and flexible ready for July (y)

Edit - I remembered there was a hotel nearby and found a postcode for satnav :) It's at the end of the road this hotel is on and Bampton is the nearest village: CA10 2RP

Last edited:
Has anyone thought about a camping barn for people to crash at. Normally very cheap compared to camping or hotels and more relaxing than driving all the way there and back on the day. There are some good ones in the lakes although looking is easier if you're a member of YHA. Get yer sens up Ska Fell!!!!:slayer:

weekender sounds like a plan... i did the old man of coniston not long back (with my mum)... jesus this sounds a bit "readers wives".... anyway... tis a good hike.
And? AND???.....You can't stop now! Hang on, I'll Google it.....Lolita does Coniston, that ought to do it.

OK, for those coming who HAVEN'T got walking boots, it's time to go out and buy them and start breaking them in. I'd recommend going to a good outdoors shop wearing some thick socks (or buy some there) and speak to the salespeople to find what suits you - different brands suit different foot shapes. You may need to buy a half or full size bigger than normal to accommodate your foot shape/ socks. There's no need to spend silly money for a summer walk, but you will need more than trainers as there are some rocky bits and it may be slippy if it's wet - £40-50 will probably get you what you need. The more expensive/ solid your boots, the more breaking in they need. Wear them around the house and for shorter, lighter walks to start off with until they are comfortable and flexible ready for July (y)
Haven't really got hiking boots, but think my work boots will do. No steel in them, good soles and gore tex lined. I'll bring my 'biking waterproofs.

Now, if I can have volunteers to carry my oxygen supplies and iron lung, that should do it.

Oh, yes while I remember, at the moment I'm free that weekend so it's looking good. Don't suppose there's any chance you could arrange a sedan chair is there?

Hope you can make it Mr Beard!

reccon my north face alpine walking trainers would be any good?

Sorry I missed this :eek: They'll be fine I'm sure :) Just take it easy on the tricky bits if you haven't got ankle support (y) We'll be taking it nice and steady anyway :D

Other equipment to buy/ bring if you haven't got it already:
Layers of clothing
Waterproof jacket (even if it's sunny, it might not stay that way)
Thick socks
Plenty of water - may need 2l if it's hot
Packed lunch
Suncream/ aftersun
Map: OS landranger (the pink one) map 90 Penrith and Keswick (not everyone needs their own but a few people should have them just in case)
I like to have a compass, torch and multitool as well, never needed them mind!
Change of shoes/ socks, bodyspray etc for afterwards
Plasters/ dressings/ painkillers (again not everyone needs their own)
Camera for piccies :D
Backpack to put it all in :)

I'll have all the stuff helz mentioned plus a spare gortex jacket someone can borrow if they need it. I have the 1:25000 maps which will cover it too.

I'll also have:

Map
Compass
GPS
Head Torch
Survival blanket
First Aid Kit

I'll most likely have a spare rucksack or two with me as well if anyone needs one on the day.

I am still aiming for the lakes on the thursday or friday - but I'll be camping wild rather than on a site so I can test out the self surficientness of my new beast :slayer:

I was so tired last week I forgot to post that I tested the route out :D It was fab, some amazing views even in the clouds! The route is about 7 miles long and takes us from Haweswater at ~250m up to Kidsty Pike, then round the top across High Street at 826m, to Mardale Ill Bell and back down to Haweswater via Small Tarn. If everyone's feeling super-adventurous, it is possible to extend the route to Harter Fell (making it 9m) but the view on the way down just isn't as good :(

Sorry guys an gals, having to drop out cos taking the kids to Southerness camping that weekend with ma mate’s family. Defo be interested if there’s another walk organised. Sounds like a cracking route, hope the weather is good an some photo’s get posted up.

Rich

Back