Technical Feasible to swap ZF 4 speed auto gearbox for manual

Currently reading:
Technical Feasible to swap ZF 4 speed auto gearbox for manual

adamlipscombe

All

I am thinking about buying a 2.8 JTD motorhome with a ZF HP20 4 speed auto gearbox. I am not a fan of automatics, however the camper is an excellent buy.

The last auto I had went wrong horribly and cost me a fortune to fix.
Thinking to the future - if and when the auto box goes wrong, how feasible is it to replace it with a standard 5 speed manual?

Is it a straight swap of is it more complicated?

Thanks

Last edited:
All

I am thinking about buying a 2.8 JTD motorhome with a ZF HP20 4 speed auto gearbox. I am not a fan of automatics, however the camper is an excellent buy.

The last auto I had went wrong horribly and cost me a fortune to fix.
Thinking to the future - if and when the auto box goes wrong, how feasible is it to replace it with a standard 5 speed manual?

Is it a straight swap of is it more complicated?

Thanks
The zf auto box is very very reliable don't be overly concerned.

How many miles is the question in cars ZF boxes easily do 250k-300k once oil and filter are changed, without change the valve chest can wear causing line pressure and shifting problems but usually not before 170k. A valve chest recondition is about the price of a clutch.

So here's my dilemma. I'd like to get a mild remap done on the camper to give it a bit more power. Not so much for top speed but mainly for Hills

The remap I looked at boosted power from 128 to around about 170 BHP (150 at the wheels). Torque went up as well.

I looked at the zfhp20 specs and they quote the maximum torque as 300 Nm. The standard 2.8 JTD produces @285. The remap claims to take the torque above that figure I think up to around about 325.

I'm worried about the extra torque frying the box. The remap guys said don't worry about it but then because this box is rare on Ducatos I suspect they don't have a great deal of experience with it. And they would say that wouldn't they :)

If the box does fry then I would prefer to replace it with a manual hence my original question.

What do you think?

Last edited:
People have had issues with crappy remaps and the manual clutches also the manual clutch is only rated to 310 or 320Nm, a lot of remappers are just flashing files they got off the internet.

If you get a proper remap by a real technician verified on a properly calibrated braked dyno you can limit the torque to whatever you want. Without a proper dyno you have no idea what the torque is.

Personally I would leave well enough alone.

So here's my dilemma. I'd like to get a mild remap done on the camper to give it a bit more power. Not so much for top speed but mainly for Hills

The remap I looked at boosted power from 128 to around about 170 BHP (150 at the wheels). Torque went up as well.

I looked at the zfhp20 specs and they quote the maximum torque as 300 Nm. The standard 2.8 JTD produces @285. The remap claims to take the torque above that figure I think up to around about 325.

I'm worried about the extra torque frying the box. The remap guys said don't worry about it but then because this box is rare on Ducatos I suspect they don't have a great deal of experience with it. And they would say that wouldn't they :)

If the box does fry then I would prefer to replace it with a manual hence my original question.

What do you think?
If you have now bought it , use it as it is for a year or so to get to know it before changing anything. Remember if you alter anything it has to be declared!

Back