General Faulty Electric Window FIXED!!

Currently reading:
General Faulty Electric Window FIXED!!

Paulleo

Hi all. I joined this forum to seek help and advice for my Sedici. However it has turned out I may be able to help some of you.

The front offside (drivers) electric window decided to intermitantly stop and go then stopped alltogether. I rang my local Fiat parts department and got no reply despite trying several times. I rang Suzuki and got an answer straight away. They quoted £76 for a new switch. I gasped. £76 for one switch. I decided to try and fix it myself. :eek:

Starting with the door trim I undid two screws, one in the door handle recess and the other in the armrest handle.I gently prized the trim off the door. Then disconnected the wireing blocks and took the trim into my garage. The switch assembly unclips and hey presto, I had the complete switch system in my hand. It's all in one unit, no wonder it costs so much. On inspecting the contacts in the wireing block one had a slight burn spot on it. Very small but I thought it might cause a break in the circuit :idea:. I cleaned it up with a piece of emery paper on the end of a small screwdriver as it was quite difficult to get to as it was in the wiring block.

I put everything back on to the door. Turned on the ignition and to my amazement it worked fine. Such a simple fix that would have cost over a £100 at the dealers.

Nice one paulleo. Love these DIY jobs! I did one to replace the foglights recently. Saved a fair few quid.

My windows had a problem when I got it. When winding them down they would suddenly drop and then winding them up they wouldn't seal properly. Got the garage to fix it all before I took the car.

why would a fiat dealer fit a new switch if the fault was so obvious?

Do you really think a dealer would repair, rather than replace? I doubt it very much. Also the labour cost I saved plus VAT and time and inconvienience all add up.

Back