Technical Faulty Airbag Warning

Currently reading:
Technical Faulty Airbag Warning

alplym

Hello

I have a 52 plate 1.6 Stilo Dynamic and just a few days before its MOT a warning on the dash is saying Faulty Drivers Airbag Stop Engine. Is this something simple or will my car be draining my wallet yet again?:bang:

Usual problem is the Occupant Classification Sensor (OCS) built into the passenger seat (See the Stilo Guides). Could also be a problem with one of the many airbag related connectors located around the car. Plenty of information on the forum if you use the search button.

If you decide to investigate any airbag components or connections, disconnect the car battery earth lead and wait 20 minutes before touching anything.

Airbags are not a testable item for MOT.

Dave.

Is that a MOT failure? It's not lethal to have a non working airbag system - it could save a life ofcourse, I won't discuss that. But it's the seatbelts that are checked at a MOT. Am I wrong??? Mine passed with the OCS going bananas, and yes, they were testdriving it.

M.

I had this as well on 02 Stilo Dynamic and it was a wiring problem on the drivers side. Take it to a garage and get a dianostic done on it. It'll tell you the problem because i was told it was a OCS and it would cost £120 for the part and £120 for labour and it wasnt even that!

Hello

I have a 52 plate 1.6 Stilo Dynamic and just a few days before its MOT a warning on the dash is saying Faulty Drivers Airbag Stop Engine. Is this something simple or will my car be draining my wallet yet again?:bang:

If it's a 3 door more than likely connectors under the seats.

Thanks for the response everyone.

Took the stilo to my local fiat dealer (vospers in plymouth) and they have informed me that it is the drivers curtain airbag that is at fault. They need to replace it, £400 for the part plus 4 hours labour and the VAT!

Has this happened to anyone before and are they ripping me off or is the price about right?

Well if you haven't got curtain airbags then you're definitely being ripped off:)

If you have the airbag then it depends what's wrong.

window air bag.JPG
If it's simply a bad contact at the airbag connector, as it so often is, then it would cost hardly anything to cure and I'd use some contact cleaner to clean up and improve the electrical connection at the connector and see how that goes

If the airbag really has a problem then it'll need to be replaced

Last edited:
The air bags run all the way along both sides of the roof, one each side.

Decks has already posted a diagram of it, and the connector in post #9 above.

Dave.

There is also a connector at the bottom of the B pillar. I've never managed to find out what it's for, as the seat has to be out to remove that particula panel. I found it a bit difficult around there when I was pulling ICE cables to the boot.

Back