Fastest Car for under £6k.

Currently reading:
Fastest Car for under £6k.

The A4 is a good bet - also the Octavia vrs is a similar car and costs a lot less but I don't know if there are any old enough to be under £6000? Guessing you'd say you didn't like it though,

Or buy the Coupe and make the kids run behind!

Not interested in any Ford, apart from which that one is too slow. Not keen on the Mk IV Golf, along with most of the rest of the world. Wouldn't want most Peugeots, but have considered the 3.0l 406 and it is very pretty as well.

An A4 would have to be either to old or too slow to be within budget, although they are a car I would consider, if I could somehow find a Quattro or an RS4 within budget. Haven't checked stats on the Octavia, I didn't realise they did any fast ones.

its already been mentioned but a rover 600 is a suprisingly good car. its pretty much a honda under the bonnet and the ARE fast. dont know the exact spec but my mums is the 2.0L version (they came in 1.8 / 1.8 turbo / 2.0 and i think 2.3)

she has an automatic so i dont really know what its capable of but its faster than a golf GTI anyway ;) and they are actually very nice cars. my mums got an R reg and had it since new, its never broken down. only problem we have had is that the battery died after 4 years.

It appears that performance wise I would be wanting the S4 which is outside budget. Having looked at the Skoda's, the fastest I can find is the 1.8 Turbo, which is too slow.

It appears there is a Rover 600 2.0l Turbo, 0-60 7.0, but I'm still not very taken with them and would prefer a little faster, although they are good for space, but 2 too many doors.

How about (I know it's a bit old) Nissan Sunny (or pulsar) GTI-R. 2.0 turbo, 4wd and can be tuned very easy very quick car with bullit proof nissan engine. No problem getting 300 -350 bhp :D

Sunny/Pulsar GTi-R may have a good engine, in fact its probably better than either the engine in the integrale EVO or Cosworth to give a comparison from the time it was made, but the gearbox & diffs are known to be very week and give out too quickly, plus running anything more than standard boost makes it run too hot as the intercooler sits on top of the engine, and to top it off, the brakes are shocking in a car that fast, cos the standard wheels are only 14" :eek:

Plus he said he doesn't want anything too old or costly to run, ruling it & a host of other excellent cars out.

bloomfieldliam said:
Hey Aaron, you trying to steal my job? LOL!

Neo's question was one that dude in the Top Gear mag blue pages section from years ago couldn't answer, can't remember his name but you sent in a Neo style question and he gave some examples.

The Volvo is a winner though!

Liam

LOL, yeah the Volvo is good, but I prefer the Pinafarina designed 406 Coupe which is from a design piont of view a very clever car as its both very elegant, but still retains an identity which is instantly Peugoet 406 but not if you see what I mean, which is a very hard thing to do as opposed to coming up with a design from a blank canvas.

But rest assured Liam, your jobs same in the world of FF! :D

good point but most have been modded, normally bigger wheels and brakes and some if your lucky have the front mounted intercooler fitted (quite a common mod by all accounts)

J333EVO said:
But rest assured Liam, your jobs same in the world of FF! :D

Phew! Will get some sleep tonight at least!

Being a big fan of the Rover 600 series, I will go on to say that like many other Rovers it was built in conjunction with Honda. The 600 is basically a re-shelled Honda Accord however only shares the two engines, these being the 2.0 and rarer 2.3. Honda engined cars can be spotted by looking for a single tailpipe and also before '97 as the 1.8 was introduced and became more popular. The Ti was the same engine as the 820 and was a K-Series, from having one previously I can say that after repeated thrashings where I found VTR's are no match for flat cap power it only required petrol!

Liam

Nissan 200SX - the s14a model like this:

barryboypic.jpg

That's mine and I absolutley love it (yes I still have the Bravo as well)

£6000 will get you around a '98 or '99 car. Go for the touring pack (leather etc) with manual gears.

You won't regret it.

just a quick one but
volvo's and saabs and jags??? arnt they made by ford now? or general motors??? so in theory its a ford
i kno for a fact that ford own jag

for 6k you want sub 7.0 seconds! and it cant be old!
serviceing costs on any car with that much performance will be relitively high wont they especially on a jag as metioned b4!" ;)

and man your a bit picky arnt ya!

try and find a alfa romeo 155 q4 there engines are similar if not the same as a grale and its 4 wheel drive and fast

failing that u could always rob your local supercar garage (y)

Last edited:
Back