General false advertisment??

Currently reading:
General false advertisment??

All city driving (about 2 miles each trip)

You've just answered your own question.

No petrol car is going to deliver any kind of meaningful economy if it's only used for 2 mile trips.

I'd expect you'd get about half the published figures with that kind of driving profile.

Reactions: UFI
<snip>
No petrol car is going to deliver any kind of meaningful economy if it's only used for 2 mile trips.
<snip>

I don't deny that - but we were driving an older BMW (330i) and got the exact same mileage.

Which is sad, in a way.

I don't deny that - but we were driving an older BMW (330i) and got the exact same mileage..

I've found that from cold, all my cars return the same approximate consumption doesn't matter if it's a 4.0, 2.3, 1.3 for the first 5km they're pretty much the same. Only the 0.9l manages good figures from early on.

I've found that from cold, all my cars return the same approximate consumption doesn't matter if it's a 4.0, 2.3, 1.3 for the first 5km they're pretty much the same. Only the 0.9l manages good figures from early on.

If it didn't rain so much in Houston, I would just use a bicycle!

Thanks...

I don't deny that - but we were driving an older BMW (330i) and got the exact same mileage.

Which is sad, in a way.
Sorry to lump all our American (& Canadian) cousins into one reply here, but don't forget that when we post our mpg figures we're talking about Imperial gallons as opposed to the US measure.

The differences are:

1 Imp gallon = 1.2 US.
1 Imp gallon = 4.54 litres.
1 US gallon = 3.78 litres.

As a rough gauge you could say that 48 mpg (imp) would be approximately 40 US.

From a personal perspective, most Italian cars that I've used tend to have pessimistic trip computers. My own Panda MJ (diesel) typically under reads by 5 - 10%. As a comparison I recently used a VW Golf 1.6 TDi Bluemotion and the trip computer showed 64 mpg over 350 mixed miles. The reality was 54 mpg. A few weeks earlier I had an Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2.0 Lusso which gave a figure of 52 mpg that ended up as 54 mpg when worked out by my incredibly fertile mind (alright then, a mobile phone).

Here in the UK (Devon) my wife gets 41 mpg in winter and 43 - 44 mpg in summer. Her car is a 1.4 100HP Lounge convertible. We are happy with that.

My U.S. model is averaging around 36-38 U.S. miles per gallon (as reported by onboard computer). I've been tracking it on Fuelly.com as well and it's showing me a solid 37 U.S. miles per gallon.

Well, Benny (1.2 Pop, skinny wheels) has just gone over the 60,000 mile mark, and I reset the computer every tank fill. Now over the last five and a half years I cannot remember a tank not giving me less than 50 mpg.
I know that I could have been anal about it and kept every receipt for petrol I have ever put in and recorded the milage; but I really couldn't be bothered. I'm too busy enjoying it to be worried.

This is not a dig at the Fuelly brigade, but I just do what I do out of cuiriosity.

If I want to drive with economy in mind, I would pinch the wife's Octavia diesel; the computer on that has shown up to 73mpg on a trip down to Bournemouth (~40 miles), and 64mpg over 340 miles from Gateshead to Salisbury.
But it is not as much fun.......:bang:

Back