Technical Excess Radiator Fluid Temp

Currently reading:
Technical Excess Radiator Fluid Temp

PuntoPerv84

I’ve got a 2007 fiat punto 1.9 multi jet diesel. I bought it a few months ago (96000 on the clock) and all was fine until a few days in the glow plug light flashed up and I started having trouble starting it from cold. I took it to a garage that changed the timing belt and water pump etc and said they tested the glow plugs and all were working fine, so assuming it must be the glow plug relay I had that changed to a new one last week. The same day, and for a couple of days later, the starting issue got worse (though the glow plug light went off) and I had to jump start it once so today I went and bought a new bigger battery. Now when I start the car it won’t start first time (though does the second time with a very slight rattle noise that I didn’t notice there before) and a warning flashes up on the dash “excess.radiator.fluid.temp TURN OFF ENGINE) which I do then start it the second time and all is fine. Now this happens even after the car has been driven and warmed and the gauge inside the car sits in the middle so isn’t overheating and I always wait a good few seconds before starting the car at anytime, so was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on what to check/test/change next please! There also aren’t any coolant etc leaks either.

Thanks! I was hoping it wouldn’t be that cause it was changed only 4 years ago. My partner seems to think it might be temp sensor or starter motor...?

Hi!
Have you got the modifiet scuttle drain (search the forum), RHD versions have a problem with water ingres to the alternator.

Temp sensor or starter - no chance if the gauge is at the middle when motor is warm and the starter motor works as usual.

If you got a voltmeter and a helping hand, it's easy to check the alternator, start the engine and turn everything on, messure the voltage over the battery poles while revving the engine to about 2000 rpm, if the voltage is below 13V there is something wrong, then turn everything off again and the voltage should be at least 14V with engine stil running.

BRs. Kjeld

Last edited:
Will definitely have to test the alternator. My partner thinks it’s the starter motor because the battery etc are new but car still struggles to start...1st time sounds like a dead/dying battery then gets more life on 2nd & 3rd key turn then fires up with a slight rattle sound on 4th try. I’m thinking alternator because of everything I’ve read (like battery light flickering on & off every now and then-before battery was replaced though and this only happened twice, both after a longish drive) but then I don’t have any trouble with lights dimming/flickering or car dying while driving or after driving a while etc so am completely lost! Will just have to get it looked at I think ?

Hi!
I forgot to warn you that if the alternator fails completely while driving, the electric power steering will also fail (to save battery), it can be very dangerous if you only drive with one hand at the wheel (eg when changing gears) and there is a sharp turn, been there, fortunately I had both hands on the steering wheel (1.4 8v dualogic) and the speed was low so I managed to keep the track, but I do not think a small woman can do it with the somewhat heavier 1.9 mjd.

BRs. Kjeld

Back