Off Topic €1 for a litre of petrol for 3 years if you're Italian !

Currently reading:
Off Topic €1 for a litre of petrol for 3 years if you're Italian !

hmmm makes you want to embrace the euro :) whats the price in Eire ?

I don't think so. The uncertainty of what's going to happen with the Euro and who is next for the chop makes you wonder how did we get in this mess in the first place. Euro is weak against the dollar and particularly Sterling at the moment. Advice now is to buy Yen if you have cash and you want to 'hedge your bets'.

Got stuck today in some heavy traffic and ending up going into a garage that was diddling the pumps. They are the cheapest in Dublin at €1.558c a litre. Average prices here are €1.60. I normally go to Maxol (they have 98-99 octane) and buy here when I can.

That 'deal' in Italy is if you buy a Fiat you get petrol for €1 a litre for 3 years and with petrol costing €1.85 normally it sounds like a good deal but there is probably some 'catch' to it. I wonder will it be brought into the UK or here ?

Prob a silly question, won't putting a higher octane in a car rated to use 95 not harm the engine, does 98 actually give more power or other benefits :confused:

Prob a silly question, won't putting a higher octane in a car rated to use 95 not harm the engine, does 98 actually give more power or other benefits :confused:

The engine I have is the T-jet in a MiTo. Its the turbo charged 1.4 engine - same block as the 500 1.4 and is tuned to Abarth essesse levels at 163bhp (rated at 155bhp as the Grand Punto Abarth). It can run on 95 octane but it's supposed to run on 98 octane. 98 octane is not officially available in Ireland - we only have the 'one' petrol - with Maxol it is rated at 99 octane. You notice the difference higher up the rev band and it's slightly better on fuel if you account for the 'loss' of the ethanol which is now in all petrol at a 5% 'mix'. Europe now sells E10.

Wont harm the engine, burns slightly better and reduces possible detonation issues
:yeahthat:
Given the compression rate of the 1.2 at 1:11 and the 1.4 at 1:10.8 the 1.2 both benefit from the higher octane i.e anything higher that 10.5 benefits. New regulations introduced where all engines must be able to run on 95 octane. TA is at 1:10 but its boosted and the newer Multi-air engines in 135bhp and 170bhp are both 1:9.8 again both boosted. If these newer engines get a re-map or a tuning box they will need 98 octane. I don't know if the Twin Air engine benefits from 98 octane aside from the cleaning agents in the better petrol.

Back