Technical Erratic revving

Currently reading:
Technical Erratic revving

Stelvio Verde

Racing green only Italian
My daily driver LE is poorly again. Once she has warmed up the engine starts revving erratically and losing power. Luckily my commute is quite short but the problem seems to be getting worse and I am not confident of getting to or from work tomorrow. I am going to have to find a local garage to take her to. What shall I tell them is the problem? Is it thermostat related?
:confused:

My guess is false air of air mass meter issue.

def no thermostat problem

i think same as bollie69... also check air hose at wrinkled part, maybe you have hole.

Intakehose.jpg

It turns out it is a broken manifold. There was soot all over the air flow meter but it was still working. Sadly this could mean it is the end of the road for my beloved B. Fiat want silly money for a replacement. Does anyone have a spare manifold from a '98 or '99 B (no other year/model will do) or know anyone who is breaking one?

Barchettaparts.com has a manifold for €75 which seems reasonable. The website does not state which year it is for but worth an enquiry. Anyway, I am sure Henk will be able to find you one if the one listed is not for your car.

DTR (where my B is currently languishing) have been quoted £822 for a new replacement manifold.

hi im new member and my barchetta is running rough and it has a split in the hose butt when i tape it up it revs up then dies then revs up again then dies so on

3 possible faults. air mass meter, idle control valve or air leak in the hose between engine and air mass meter

edit: or air filter clogged up

hi im new member and my barchetta is running rough and it has a split in the hose butt when i tape it up it revs up then dies then revs up again then dies so on

Change your hose and the problem will be cured, Your losing air so the idle senser bounces the revs up to keep the car from stalling..

Think I have a spare if yours is a MK1 B 95-99

It turns out it is a broken manifold. There was soot all over the air flow meter but it was still working. Sadly this could mean it is the end of the road for my beloved B. Fiat want silly money for a replacement. Does anyone have a spare manifold from a '98 or '99 B (no other year/model will do) or know anyone who is breaking one?

Are you looking for the rear inlet manifold parts, These are 20 and 10 euro from Henk.
http://www.barchettaparts.com/catalog/index.php?route=product/product&path=22&product_id=248

http://www.barchettaparts.com/catalog/index.php?route=product/product&path=22&product_id=188

Good luck

Last edited:
It's not the manifold in the exhaust underneath the car but the big bit of moulded plastic at the back of the engine and I have already reluctantly parted with the car (but thanks for the thought).

Back