General Engine swap question

Currently reading:
General Engine swap question

Jakdj

Hi guys , just done a compression test today and not getting any compression at all on one of the pistons, my mechanic mate reckons id be best getting a new bottom end from a 1.2

Had a quick look on ebay can get an 188 a4 bottom end for around 120 delivered,

My engine is the 187 variant its a mpi 51 plate , had a good read over the faq on engine swaps im a bit baffled by this part,

You need to use the Cento crank position sensor, Cento oil pressure switch complete with long hollow bolt and 90' elbow.

The exhaust won't fit. You need to either have the front pipe cut and extended by 15mm to get it on, or make a spacer to go between the front pipe and manifold. If you do this, you will also need longer bolts or studs fitting to the manifold to connect it all up.
You can either use the flange cut from an old front pipe, or have one made up. If you have access to facilities, it's not difficult to do - use a gasket as a template. Alternatively, an engineering shop may make you one up.

If i use my existing head will i still need a spacer for the exhaust????

Thanks guys any advice greatly appreciated

Remember, the advice you're reading will be for SPI cars. Principle difference between the engines is the length of the block. I'm not sure that the manicat is actually different between the cars, but some accomodation may have to be made there. After the manicat/use Punto Manicat, etc. If you're using the Sei head, use a Punto head gasket.

Everything else is a fit it and see enterprise. I think there's a Punto engine for grabs in the Mk2 section.

But no compression? That needs investigation.

The guy that had the car before me was using it as a runaround for one of the companys my freind fixes cars for , apparently when the hg went he kept driving it with no water till it broke down

, there is a slight wear at the top of the piston thats got no compression theres maybe a 2 mm hole where you can see the piston ring but it looked like it would seal okay so my freind advised me to put it back together and see what happens

Always fancied making it faster so maybe a good thing its broke lol :)

Gonna have a nosy around the scrappies tommorow see if i can get something local first :)

Cheers, thread is now closed so guessing the original poster has sold the items,

A local scrappies have one but the boss wasnt around so going too phone back tommorow ,

in regards too them being thrashed is there any pointers you can give me for a simple visual check when buying a second hand engine too try make sure i get something in good condition

im guessing freeplay on the crankshaft could indicate worn bearings , have seen a few on ebay but gonna check this local scrappies again tommorow as postage is gonna be expensive

Back