Technical Engine swap - Is It Worth It ??

Currently reading:
Technical Engine swap - Is It Worth It ??

Zed X

Good Afternoon Everyone.
Just picked up a '91' 1000s with a carb, must be one of the last. 2 owner from new, 81000 miles. She's been sitting for a while and got a bit of tin worm but not to bad and its complete.
My question is whether to change the engine or not ?
I've been offered a low mileage 1242cc out of a 2007 Panda for £30 and its all there.
Being a carb engine it would be a lot of hassle to go the injection route so is it possible to use the 1242 bottom end with the 999 head and would it be worth it.
Advice would be much appreciated.

Good Afternoon Everyone.
Just picked up a '91' 1000s with a carb, must be one of the last. 2 owner from new, 81000 miles. She's been sitting for a while and got a bit of tin worm but not to bad and its complete.
My question is whether to change the engine or not ?
I've been offered a low mileage 1242cc out of a 2007 Panda for £30 and its all there.
Being a carb engine it would be a lot of hassle to go the injection route so is it possible to use the 1242 bottom end with the 999 head and would it be worth it.
Advice would be much appreciated.
No don't swap the engine.
81,000 on the 999cc is very low.
Best upgrade would be electronic ignition from fiat uno that had the 999cc engine

Cheers mate. It does run as sweet as a nut. I think I've read on here a 4x4 camshaft makes a small difference, is that true ?

Cheers mate. It does run as sweet as a nut. I think I've read on here a 4x4 camshaft makes a small difference, is that true ?

4x4 had an extra 5hp from the same engine so yes - higher lift & duration on the cam. Careful when buying though as they kept fitting the 4x4 cam to all sorts of stuff for years, just pulled one out of a 2003 Seicento last year, but the later ones were for injected engines and they stopped putting the cam profile on the end to operate the mechanical fuel pump.

Back