Technical Engine swap 1.6 to 2.0 20V NA

Currently reading:
Technical Engine swap 1.6 to 2.0 20V NA

TheBlackRazor

Hello,

As the title says, I am working on the idea of buying a dirt cheap (but in decent condition, uncrashed) Stilo 1.6 16V 3d 2002 model year. It is dirt cheap cause the engine is bust.

Engine code 182b6000 with gearbox C514R (C514.5).

I also found a really nice FIAT Marea 2.0 20V naturally aspirated 155hp engine. Engine code 182a1000. I'm not sure what gearbox was used for those Bravo/Marea/Coupe NA engines.

Here comes the difficult part: what else am I going to need to set the car up and running? Probably:

- A compatible gearbox
- A Stilo 2.4 ECU remapped to the needs of 2.0 (to keep the car electronic functionality)
- A bigger fuel pump (if the 1.6 one isn't up to the job)
- A bigger radiator & water pump later on
- New springs/suspensions later on (to accommodate for the increased weight)
- An exhaust later on (but as we stay naturally aspirated this shouldn't be much of an issue)

Now the great part is that this conversion is LEGAL in my country because the engine code starts with "182" so it considered a "same-type change" and I don't need to do ANY paperwork at all :slayer:.

Another cool part is that I'm not in a hurry to build that car. I and a friend of mine who has some past experience as a car mechanic, will carry almost the entire job.

I need suggestions from other forum members who have tried something similar (I assume with the Coupe 2.0 20VT engine). I know it has been done, but I want to do it with the least pain possible :D.

Oh, and to stop people from telling me "cheaper to just buy an Abarth lol" NO it will NOT be cheaper in my case. Here's a breakdown of the cumulative cost:

- Used broken Stilo: 600€
- Marea 2.0 engine: 400€
- Gearbox: 300€
- Clutch+flywheel: 100€
- Stilo 2.4 ECU: 70€ (I will do the remap on my own)
- Fuel pump: 15€
- Other random stuff (oils, sensors etc): 120€

Sum: around 1600€ without labour. Yearly tax: 265€ (as it will remain 1.6 for tax purposes) instead of 840€.

Let me know if I have forgotten something. And of course all constructive suggestions are welcomed! :)

Good news. I found this German site (mobilverzeichnis.de) with the complete list of (almost) all gearbox codes.

So it looks like the 2.0 20V Marea engines (and the Bravo/Brava ones) were fitted with the classic dirt cheap C510 5 speed gearbox. Probably in the future I will be able to fit a C530 6 speed from a Thesis without an issue if I want to.

Back