Technical Engine stops after a short drive, restarts later

Currently reading:
Technical Engine stops after a short drive, restarts later

mystroy

hello i have fiat uno 1985 when i turn it on in the morning it is normal for the first 5 minutes than it turn off i try to turn it on it dont
so i push on the gas pedal several times it turn on i drive for 30 seconds and it turned off again i repeat the senario for 5 or 6 times and then my batterie dies i recharge my batterie and i come back the next day i turn it on and i drive for 5 minutes and it's the same problem
plzzz i need help the temperature is 90 degrees its mean normal so what is the problem

Hello mystroy,

Welcome to the forum! To avoid confusion, I moved your post from the thread about engine temperature problems - I don't think your question relates to engine temperature (you said that temperature is normal).

Does your Uno have a finned aluminium block on the side of the distributor? That block (if you have it) is the amplifier for an electronic pickup ("breakerless") inside the distributor. The block sometimes fails, causing the engine to cut out after a short time, then restart later when the electronics in the block cool down. It is a good idea to have a spare finned block (ignition amplifier) and swap it over to see if it makes a difference.

Which engine do you have? I think a 1985 Uno does not have the electronic-type distributor, but someone may have fitted one from a later Uno.

However, you said that pushing the accelerator (gas pedal) helps to get the engine restarted. That makes me wonder if you have a fuel pump problem. The carburettor keeps a certain reserve of petrol inside that is enough to keep the engine running for a short time. Perhaps next time the engine stops, remove the air filter and take the top off the carburettor (undo the slot-head screws) to see whether the carburettor has petrol inside. The petrol should be at least two centimetres deep. If there is hardly any petrol at all, check/replace the fuel filter (if one is fitted) and consider replacing the fuel pump (follow the fuel pipe back from the carburettor to find the pump).

These are just a couple of suggestions and I may have missed something, so hopefully you'll get some other advice here soon.

Also, which country are you in?

Thanks,
-Alex

Alex - mystroy is in Lebanon which was a part of the Ottoman Empire for over 400 years, until 1918 when the area became a part of the French Mandate of Syria following World War I.

By the end of the war, famine had killed an estimated 100,000 people in Beirut and Mount Lebanon. On 1 September 1920, France formed the State of Greater Lebanon as one of several ethnic enclaves within Syria. Lebanon was a largely Christian (mainly Maronite) enclave but also included areas containing many Muslims (including Druze). On 1 September 1926, France formed the Lebanese Republic. The Republic was afterward a separate entity from Syria (related to the country Syria) but still administered under the French Mandate of Syria.

...just in case you were wondering..

I'm a wealth of knowledge and information..

:D

..not all of it correct or accurate though.

Could it be the Control unit (ECU) like mine ?

See my items wanted (can't post the link)

But how else was he going to put in a sneaky advert for his items? ;)

Back