Technical engine problems!!

Currently reading:
Technical engine problems!!

Hi I've just bought a punto gt. It's appears when it boosts it has a big lag and will start boosting about 3500 rpm then soon as it hits 4500rpm it stops boosting! Any suggestion?

whats the set up/mods? do you know what turbo it's running?? need a bit more info

Far as I no its a gt conversion. Standard turbo I assume. Mods: full stainless exhaust system, decay, large intercooler, Bailey dv26 dump valve and apparently ecu was flashed and setup with seb 2! I've worked out that with these mods it should be good for 150bhp but I doubt it as I couldn't burn off a rover 25! Also gotta blow coming from the decat flange! The boost gauge says 20ish psi when she kicks in and sometimes blows the right side intercooler pipe off! Hope this helps.

start with the problems you know, fix the exhaust leak and boost pipe which keeps popping off. then you need to check all the boost hoses for cracks and splits as said.

Chased through the vacuum hoses and noticed some sort of bypass switch which had 2 hoses going in from the turbo! I disconnected them and joined a hose from the turbo to the actuator and now running standard boost which on boost gauge says 8psi I assume its standard boost! It seems very slow for a 1.4 gt it doesn't feel like 130bhp as standard!

do you mean you have removed the pierburg valve that normally controls the boost? or did it have an after-market dawes boost controller on it.. If i understand you properly you now just have a pipe going from the turbo straight to the actuator, thats not right.

There should be a vac line going up to the pierburg valve and one going back down to the actuator.. If its got an after-market dawes on it then just leave it there and adjust it to your desired boost pressure. Also, whether your using the pierburg valve or not you need to leave the electrical connector on it.

yeh the electrical connector is still connected. and yes the pierburg valve is not connected to the vacum hoses no more as soon as you connect the pierburg valve back up it sends the boost straight up to 22psi!! and under boost it blows the intercooler pipe off! theres no after market boost contoller connected. if the pierburg valve has to be connected how do i get the boost down?

well the pierburg valve is clearly not functioning properly. Either replace the pierburg or replace it with a dawes controller.

It matters not which really but i should imagine a dawes will be cheaper to buy (thats a guess), and the dawes should reduce spool up slightly compared to a pierburg.

Back