General Engine Oil

Currently reading:
General Engine Oil

I'm due to get my 1.2 500 within the next week.

Would it be worth, after say, 1000 miles draining the oil and refilling with some good quality fully-synthetic oil? Just to give it a good start!

I know when you bought a new car years ago after only a few miles the oil got changed.

Thanks

EDIT: I now think this post should be in the Technical section. New to forums!!

Last edited:
the cars already come with high quality fully synthetic oil in them

it's a fiat afterall

so i would say don't bother modern engines don't contaminate there first oil as much as you might think

if you want to make a car last forever then changing your oil every 6000 miles is a good idea

and if you want to use semi synthetic cheaper oil your going to have to change it more often also

but aslong as you stick to the fiat schedule you wont have any problems

The engine will probably be factory filled with a slightly different oil with less lubricating qualities to allow the engine to run in and all moving components to bed closely together to allow a smooth efficient engine with a long life.

I would suggest this is the one and only time that the oil is NOT changed early!

Vic

Thanks for the replies guys.

Seems pretty devided then. The more frequent you change oil the better but like people have said if the first oil that is put into the car is something special then it could be a bad thing changing early.

My current car is a Citroen C5 (54 reg) which has 20,000 mile servicing and with the 500 having 18,000 mile interval they seem long. My C5 of which I will be trading in sounds nowhere near as sweet as it did when I got it new and because I have only done 31000 miles, it's only had 1 oil change (service) in the time I've had it.

I'd feel better having the Fiat service done at intervals of 18,000 and my own oil change half way between the Fiat one at 9,000. Surly after 9,000 miles I will be able to drain out Fiat's and put in some fresh.

Does anyone know how long in months/years the 500 should be serviced if you don't do many miles? For instance my current Citroen C5 is 20,000 miles/2 years which ever comes first.

Thanks

Kieran

The engine will probably be factory filled with a slightly different oil with less lubricating qualities to allow the engine to run in and all moving components to bed closely together to allow a smooth efficient engine with a long life.

I would suggest this is the one and only time that the oil is NOT changed early!

Vic

no it's jut normal fully synthetic selenia in fiats case

if you do low miles you will have to stick t the once a year oil changes regardless of miles

changing the oil in a new car as soon as you get it for quality synthetic wont make any odds as i have already said that's what's in it any way don't go thinking there is some sort of special running in oil in there cos quite frankly there isn't they are designed and machined in such a way that within the first few miles of running on standard oil they are fine

one other thing to note is that valve seats are cut but not honed into place they rely on the hammering action to seat them fully so there's one reason to go explore the rev range on a new car you need to seat the valves properly

Last edited:
Back