General Engine Mounts 2000 (Y Reg Diesel)

Currently reading:
General Engine Mounts 2000 (Y Reg Diesel)

Rikstaparr

Hi

Started to hear a knocking sound when setting off coming from around the passenger front wheel. Took it to a garage who said it was 'just a bit of play'. So we had it looked at by someone else, who says the engine mounts have play in them, but they are secure and safe. He said it wasn't necessary to replace them.

I'm no car expert but I'm not convinced. Please could I have some sound experienced advice, and also a guide to how much I should pay to have them replaced if they require so.

Many thanks

Engine mounts are designed to give a 'limited' amount of play, exactly how much is subjective but if the play is sufficient to cause part of the engine/gearbox to clunk against the chassis, then I'd say that's too much.
I'd check the lower suspension balljoints, droplinks and ARB bushes for play as these can also cause knocking before you start down the engine mount replacement route.

Hi Momoe

Sorry for the delay getting back, been snowed under with work. Ok, I'm no mechanic so will get the guy who looked at it to check the areas you have mentioned. Like I said, he did say it was the mounts, and didn't mention anything like the lower suspension balljoints , droplinks or ARB bushes.......I'm not a mechanic so wouldn't know where to start to be honest!!

Many thanks for your response, will keep this thread updated.

Back