Technical Engine idles lumpy and a lack of power

Currently reading:
Technical Engine idles lumpy and a lack of power

kangaroo1

Okay guys, complete newbie here, so please be gentle!

I very recently bought a 1.2 Active on an '02 plate. It's only got 12,500 miles (genuine!) from new, one owner & full service history... all 100% guaranteed!

Since I bought it 5 weeks ago, it's driven faultlessly.... until today....

Yesterday afternoon I put a splash of Reddex in the tank, not much, because it's only got 1/4 of a tank of fuel... I drove 12 miles to work this morning, all was well... but on the way home, after about a mile or so, it began to idle a bit lumpy, whilst I was stuck in traffic. Further along, whilst climbing an incline, there was a lack of power, the engine light flashed a couple of times, but then went off again. Driving on dual carriageway for about 3-4 miles, all was well, until negotiating some traffic lights, winding road & a junction, when it began to feel a bit lumpy & sluggish again.

Back at home, after it cooled off, I started her up again and it's starts fine, but after a minute or two is spluttering a bit, whilst idling. Sounds sort of putt putting every 5 seconds or so.. but seems to go away if I rev it up a bit. I haven't actually driven it since I got it home earlier...

Any ideas? Am hoping it's a knock on effect of the Reddex? Maybe it's blocked a jet or something and it'll work itself out??

Apologies for the length of the thread, but the devil's in the detail!

Okay guys, complete newbie here, so please be gentle!

I very recently bought a 1.2 Active on an '02 plate. It's only got 12,500 miles (genuine!) from new, one owner & full service history... all 100% guaranteed!

Since I bought it 5 weeks ago, it's driven faultlessly.... until today....

Yesterday afternoon I put a splash of Reddex in the tank, not much, because it's only got 1/4 of a tank of fuel... I drove 12 miles to work this morning, all was well... but on the way home, after about a mile or so, it began to idle a bit lumpy, whilst I was stuck in traffic. Further along, whilst climbing an incline, there was a lack of power, the engine light flashed a couple of times, but then went off again. Driving on dual carriageway for about 3-4 miles, all was well, until negotiating some traffic lights, winding road & a junction, when it began to feel a bit lumpy & sluggish again.

Back at home, after it cooled off, I started her up again and it's starts fine, but after a minute or two is spluttering a bit, whilst idling. Sounds sort of putt putting every 5 seconds or so.. but seems to go away if I rev it up a bit. I haven't actually driven it since I got it home earlier...

Any ideas? Am hoping it's a knock on effect of the Reddex? Maybe it's blocked a jet or something and it'll work itself out??

Apologies for the length of the thread, but the devil's in the detail!

Have you tried putting some more petrol in because im pretty sure you are supposed to use reddex on a full tank so perhaps an inaccurate measurement??

Probably crispy ht leads due to age

You need to check for spark

Ziggy

Hi Ziggy, thanks for feedback. I had a good look at the leads, which look ok, but they are also showing their age a bit... I've got some new ones to fit later this afternoon. Hopefully it'll do the trick.

based on redex ideal

What if the cars got stale fuel?
Stale fuel doesn't burn very well

Might need a drain and refill

ziggy

The fuel is the same as I've had in it for 2 weeks. I topped up (well, I filled it to half a tank full), 2 weeks ago and have been running it every day since, with no problems, until the return journey home yesterday afternoon.... the only thing I did differently was to put a splash of redex in on Sunday afternoon.

Have you tried putting some more petrol in because im pretty sure you are supposed to use reddex on a full tank so perhaps an inaccurate measurement??

Hi 0XRUSSX0, thanks for the feedback. I did only put a "splash" of Redex in, taking account of only having a 1/4 of a tank of fuel. The bottle said "1/2 a bottle would cover a full tank" & I put a lot less than that in.... I admit it wasn't a particularly accurate measurement, but it did run okay on my morning run to work... which is around 12 miles.

That was why my 1st thought was that the first run might have shifted a load of crap which has blocked a jet or something...

Probably crispy ht leads due to age

You need to check for spark

Ziggy

The latest development... I changed the leads... it made no difference! It's still lumpy at idle.

However, can't say if this was present last night, but this afternoon (in daylight!) after running the engine up to normal temp. I was checking the back of the car when I noticed a fresh water stain, you could even say a slight puddle, under the rear silencer box. There appears to be a very small hole just in front of the rolled seam (front rolled seam), which is spitting small amounts of water out, when it splutters..????

The water isn't oily, but is actually pretty clean, only smells of exhaust, not petrol or oil etc.... the sort you'd see as condensation burning off...?

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

The latest development... I changed the leads... it made no difference! It's still lumpy at idle.

However, can't say if this was present last night, but this afternoon (in daylight!) after running the engine up to normal temp. I was checking the back of the car when I noticed a fresh water stain, you could even say a slight puddle, under the rear silencer box. There appears to be a very small hole just in front of the rolled seam (front rolled seam), which is spitting small amounts of water out, when it splutters..????

The water isn't oily, but is actually pretty clean, only smells of exhaust, not petrol or oil etc.... the sort you'd see as condensation burning off...?

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Does it still give this liquid when the car is up to temperature?

Does it still give this liquid when the car is up to temperature?

Can't be completely sure... I think there was a very small (tiny) amount... but the worst of it was before I noticed it... and the car had been sitting idle for 24 hours...

The plan for later is to put a bit more fuel in it and take it for a bit of a drive... to get it back up to temp & check again...

If it was me personally i would put some more fuel in then go on a long drive on some faster roads. Let it work the fuel through and see if it makes any difference.

I put another 10 litres in and gave it the best run I could, but didn't get much past 60, and only over a short distance!... I kept the revs as high as I felt comfortable with at all times, but can't be sure whether it really made any difference.... it's still lumpy when idling and was struggling and a bit jumpy when accelerating. Seemed ok when "cruising" along though, but again put my foot down & it jumps a bit & struggles.

Maybe in the morning the new fuel will have mixed up a bit better with the old fuel and it'll help... but maybe I'm just grasping at straws!

One good thing, there's no more water coming from that little hole in the exhaust. It was bone dry!

Alright fella

I've just had the same issue today, I used redex on a full tank about 3 weeks ago, just got under half way today and while at traffic lights I let my foot off the gas thinking I wasn't in gear and stalled it. Car took about 6 tries to start along with engine light popping on and once I got home about a mile later I stopped it and tried starting again and it kept on cutting out, my car idles at 10rmp but it kept going straight to 5 and dying. I have since taken it for a run around and it seems fine again. Hopefully just a result of stalling, flooding or redex and nowt to serious. I'll keep you posted on my situation.

Neil

Alright fella

I've just had the same issue today, I used redex on a full tank about 3 weeks ago, just got under half way today and while at traffic lights I let my foot off the gas thinking I wasn't in gear and stalled it. Car took about 6 tries to start along with engine light popping on and once I got home about a mile later I stopped it and tried starting again and it kept on cutting out, my car idles at 10rmp but it kept going straight to 5 and dying. I have since taken it for a run around and it seems fine again. Hopefully just a result of stalling, flooding or redex and nowt to serious. I'll keep you posted on my situation.

Neil

Hey Neil, thanks for the post... always good to hear someone has/had a similar problem and it worked itself out!

I drove mine to work today, just over 12 miles. Unfortunately only on "A" roads, so not much chance to get up to any decent speed. However, after a bit of a dodgy start I did try & keep the revs a bit higher, which may have helped. By the time I got to my office it felt at least a little bit better. I'm going to take the car along a dual carriageway later to try and get a bit more speed up and see whether this makes a difference! I'm just hoping I'll be as fortunate as you and this problem will indeed work itself out as I replace the fuel... :)

Hey Neil, thanks for the post... always good to hear someone has/had a similar problem and it worked itself out!

I drove mine to work today, just over 12 miles. Unfortunately only on "A" roads, so not much chance to get up to any decent speed. However, after a bit of a dodgy start I did try & keep the revs a bit higher, which may have helped. By the time I got to my office it felt at least a little bit better. I'm going to take the car along a dual carriageway later to try and get a bit more speed up and see whether this makes a difference! I'm just hoping I'll be as fortunate as you and this problem will indeed work itself out as I replace the fuel... :)

Alright pal

I started up at 5:30am this morning and all was well, driven to work and also nipped out at lunch and again no issues so hopefully just a blip or bit of crap been sucked through somewhere.

Hope yours sorts itself out

Cheers

Neil

I put another 10 litres in and gave it the best run I could, but didn't get much past 60, and only over a short distance!... I kept the revs as high as I felt comfortable with at all times, but can't be sure whether it really made any difference.... it's still lumpy when idling and was struggling and a bit jumpy when accelerating. Seemed ok when "cruising" along though, but again put my foot down & it jumps a bit & struggles.

Maybe in the morning the new fuel will have mixed up a bit better with the old fuel and it'll help... but maybe I'm just grasping at straws!

One good thing, there's no more water coming from that little hole in the exhaust. It was bone dry!

(there's no more water coming from that little hole in the exhaust. It was bone dry! )

don't worry about it if it does, that small hole is normal on some boxes, Bossal etc have them, its help stop them rotting away,

, only worry if the car is using water,or giving out plumes of white smoke,

Last edited:
(there's no more water coming from that little hole in the exhaust. It was bone dry! )

don't worry about it if it does, that small hole is normal on some boxes, Bossal etc have them, its help stop them rotting away,

, only worry if the car is using water,or giving out plumes of white smoke,

Turns out it was all down to a duff coil pack! Following Ziggy's advice I swapped them over this afternoon & the fault moved... I picked up a new pack, installed it and all now seems well again.... Idling smoothly again & the short run I did was trouble free. Almost looking forward to the daily commute to work again in the morning!
wink.gif

Back