Technical engine heating

Currently reading:
Technical engine heating

Paul97

Hi all, I have a strange 1 here. When up to temp and normal driving the heater is fine but when I stop in traffic the temp goes up and the heater blows cold but as soon I move off again the temp comes down and I get heat from the heater. The temp never hits max. Any1 got any ideas????

Hi all, I have a strange 1 here. When up to temp and normal driving the heater is fine but when I stop in traffic the temp goes up and the heater blows cold but as soon I move off again the temp comes down and I get heat from the heater. The temp never hits max. Any1 got any ideas????

My thoughts

The punto has two cooling flows. 1 goes out towards the heater and also back to the engine, without going to the heater, via the plastic splitter on the heater hoses and then back via the metal tube at the back of the manifold.

The other flow is via the radiator. If you are stuck in traffic the radiator fan should come on and off without you noticing the engine is getting hotter or colder.

If the heater circuit is clogged there will be insufficient flow thru the heater when the engine idles. If the pump is damaged there will be insufficient flow through the heater.

If you have not done it is a good idea to get some hose pipes and flush out all of the bits of the system in both directions till you get clean water

My thoughts

The punto has two cooling flows. 1 goes out towards the heater and also back to the engine, without going to the heater, via the plastic splitter on the heater hoses and then back via the metal tube at the back of the manifold.

The other flow is via the radiator. If you are stuck in traffic the radiator fan should come on and off without you noticing the engine is getting hotter or colder.

If the heater circuit is clogged there will be insufficient flow thru the heater when the engine idles. If the pump is damaged there will be insufficient flow through the heater.

If you have not done it is a good idea to get some hose pipes and flush out all of the bits of the system in both directions till you get clean water
Hi, As soon as I posted the thread I had the thought of flushing the coolant system but haven't got round to it yet, it's a job for the weekend and thanks for the idea

Back