Technical Engine fault 'Stop Engine' error

Currently reading:
Technical Engine fault 'Stop Engine' error

Firestarter911

Hi there,

Car: Fiat Stilo Dynamic 1.6 Petrol 16v (2002)

Four days ago the engine light came on (steady orange) with the engine fault error stop engine message on the display.

The only thing I noticed with this that the fuel usage changed slightly, not the same amount of power as I felt before, and when I was going on the highway, the first time it appeared, my revs gone down to 0, the engine lost power, and I had to restart the engine while in motion. Since then this symptom didn't happen, but the light was still on and while idle, my revs were inconsistent slightly and sometimes while idle, my engine just stopped.

Now the thing is that I still have 3 months warranty on the engine and gear box from the dealership I bought it from so I took my car back to them yesterday. Now, I had to call them about the situation because they told me I will get a call from them.

What they said is that they are not electricians, but they 'reprogrammed' the ECU? and now the engine light is not there any more, but there is still an ASR loose connection error.

What I think is that they haven't done anything, just deleted the errors with a diagnosis software and I am afraid that the error might come back.

I am really sorry for the LONG POST, but I would like to hear your opinions.

What now? what should I check for in the future? The coils maybe? (after some research that's what most of the people said it might be the problem).

Thank you very much for your time and patience with this post.

Coils, I suspect.. I had similar symptoms before a coil failed . It was a few weeks later in my case but inconvenient to say the least. In the end they all went one by one.

They are readily available at most motor factors . Davren has a couple (in the classified section) at a discount price for genuine Fiat.

Last edited:
Back