Technical Engine cut out, now surges when idling - please help!

Currently reading:
Technical Engine cut out, now surges when idling - please help!

kelpopp

Hello,

I've not posted on the forum for a while (because we've not had any problems with our multi for ages!! Hooray!) Anyway, that run of luck appears to have come to an abrupt end and I'm here to ask for some advice before we call out a mechanic. It's a 2002, ELX 1.6, petrol.

I don't know if it matters but it was really really cold and frosty last night.

My Husband went out this morning to defrost the car. He left it idling and came inside. In the 5 minutes he was away from the car it died. There was not dramatic bang/smoke or anything - it was idling away quite happily and then it wasn't. He says there was a warning message on the dashboard saying ABS FAULT and ECB FAILURE. I can't find anything about ECB - I think he might have misread 'ECU failure'? He tried to restart the car and...nothing, it wouldn't even turn over.

We went out this evening and the car now starts, but sounds rough and the engine is 'surging' while it's idling (sounds like you're revving the engine)

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? The car was fine yesterday, we've not had any warning lights/messages before today, could it be that cold/heavy frost has affected something?

Any advice/thoughts that anyone has would be really appreciated,

Thank you,
Kelly

I think ECB is Electronically Controlled Brakes. Which would tie in with an ABS warning.

Back