General engine conversion

Currently reading:
General engine conversion

Trickyh

i was just curios and wondered if any one could answer this question...

based on a mark 1 punto...

is it possible to replace its 1.2 engine with a 16v 1.8 engine ??

thnx

in competition with the git along the street, him and his poofy white corsa!

Don't know, but I've wondered the same thing myself - a 60s with 130bhp sounds like a hoot. I'll be interested to see any answers!

Here come da judge...

yeah i agree even thought ive put this thread in the wrong forum, i just wondered like cause i seen a basic punto for £1000 and if there that cheap, i can get replace my cinq, and get some good scrappy parts off of HGT's and sporting's.

in competition with the git along the street, him and his poofy white corsa!

You'd be better off getting a fast car to start with, even if you got all the mechanicals and electrics sorted, you'd still have to beef up the brakes and suspension

99 Brava 100 HSX with not enough mods

The performance of a 1.8 16v would completely overwhelm the running gear of a basic 60, and that's before you've sorted out all the engine electronics.

Colm is right, better to get a faster car to begin with otherwise you'll have to start fronm the ground up to make it into anything like a decent car.

Spirito di Punto | M-reg 55SX, black, 5dr. Clear repeaters. I'm fitting remote locking this week!!

But isn't that part of the fun? I remember that my old Punto GT always felt that it had just a teensy bit more power and straight line go than was strictly good for it. And it felt brilliant - not quite scary, but always just mildly concerning - a bit like sitting on a horse that hasn't been ridden for a fortnight!!!

As for buying a faster Punto - well the brakes on my old GT were dire (discs or not) - when you stood on them at 'high' speed, sod all happened - I don't think they were much better than the brakes that I've got on my current old 60s, but having said that, my 60s had the brakes replaced recently - Ferodo pads and some other (I forget) type of disc. I replaced the Punto with an Audi A3 1.8T and one of the first things that blew me away (apart from build) were the brakes - when you stood on them, the car STOPPED.!!!

So yeah, I here what your saying and understand your argument, but sometimes it's nice to have something that volume manufacturers simply wouldn't dare provide... it's the Hot Rodders Art!

Here come da judge...

There's the Punto GT you had, which was a car built from the ground up to meet safety regulations etc. and was just a bit lairy so as to be fun, and then there's putting a heavy engine over runnign gear in a car never designed to cope with that much power and weight.

Everything, brakes, suspension, the lot, will wear out in a matter of a few thousand miles if something else doesn't break before then and you'll be left with an expensive waste of tax and (increased) insurance.

Of course you can do this and make it work but you need to literally go back to square 1. A lot of time and effort and know-how is needed, rather than simply swapping a lump.

Spirito di Punto | M-reg 55SX, black, 5dr. Clear repeaters. I'm fitting remote locking this week!!

try a modded uno turbo. deffinatly way too much power for the chassie. well mine has [:p] ;) hehe

Dunc

uno%20sig%20pic.JPG
Standing 1/4 mile at Santa Pod - 14.63 @ 94.57mph

they do the 2.0 ltr conversion on a gt body as it is a little less hassle, plus every 1 who has a 2.0 turbo has to be minted as the cost for keeping it running is silly, if i was you i wouldn't bother doing a transplant i would just go out and buy a gt, trusy me there fun and **** all over corsa's

Back