Punto (Mk2/2b) Eml engine management light flashing

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Eml engine management light flashing

metallic

Hi my 2006 8v Punto Active has been running for some time with the EML flashing (ie not showing a steady light). The car has been running fine but it was bugging me. I'd read something on the net that I thought.. that sounds like an unlikely cure, but I tried it today and it worked immediately.... as follows :-
Run the engine until it has reached normal temp. Then park up and rev the car up to the rev limiter (about 6500 revs) and hold it there for just a couple of seconds then lower the revs to normal. Repeat this process immediately (4 or 5 times in total), and it the EML just goes out and mine is now working just as it should. I read in the handbook that a flashing EML can mean an inoperative catalyst. So I can only guess this process literally blows out some of the crap clogging the cat and clears out the exhaust allowing it to breath. Like I say I doubted this 'cure' but it sure worked for me. Hope it helps someone else.

rev the car up to the rev limiter (about 6500 revs) and hold it there for just a couple of seconds then lower the revs to normal. Repeat this process immediately (4 or 5 times in total).

:eek:

Amazing how chinese whispers across the internet can alter such a simple procedure that's been around since 2001. :cry:

Warm engine up,
Stab at throttle pedal and release (only has to reach 5k+ for a split second)
Repeat twice more.

EML coming on and flashing while driving signals a potentially catalyst-damaging misfire. An EML flashing all the time suggests the ECU has been reset/changed and the phonic wheel learn not performed (procedure not finished).

(y)

Well whether I have been lucky, or whether there have been chinese whispers accross the internet like the other guy said I dont really care. Fact is my car has now done 350 miles since the 'lucky' cure. It may have been around since 2001 - but I only just found out about it as I have run many different cars not always Fiats. There will be other people who haven't heard of it either. By the way guys I do posts to potentially help other people not to slap them down, or try to make them look stupid. I thought that was what Forums were for. If my post helps just a couple of people its worth it.

Thanks for that Fingers, I will look it up and learn some more :)

I wasn't taking the mick at all- I just don't want to hear of people sitting on their driveways, holding their engines on the limiter unnecessarily. The issue lies with whoever has suggested to you that it needs to be done as you said.

(y)

Back