Technical Electronic parking brake problem

Currently reading:
Technical Electronic parking brake problem

I've had the one occasion where all the tricks didn't release and I had to use the foot on brake and push the button. This is fine on a flat surface but try doing this on a hill start with a trailer/caravan in tow! Not as easy as it sounds compared to a traditional handbrake hill start as you can't feather the clutch bite and feather handbrake (i.e. button in, pull handle up, then gently release). With the EPB it is all or nothing and rollback can occur. Worst still when you get it wrong and quickly pull the EPB button up it take over a second for the EPB to fully engage by which time it might be too late for the idiot who parked up right behind with no sensible space.

I've also heard from a neighbour that he (or a family member) who lived on a sloping drive have their EPB mysteriously release and their car rolled back during the night! I now ALWAYS more than ever ensure I park in 1st gear or Reverse gear on our sloping drive. When parking in gear you should choose 1st or reverse depending on nose up (reverse) or nose down (1st) to ensure that should the car move OR be bumped/pushed then the engine is not rotated backwards. On some models of Ferrari I gather rotating the engine backwards is/can be a terminal action for the engine!

Back