General Electrical problem relating to Idea headunit

Currently reading:
General Electrical problem relating to Idea headunit

mikek2018

Hi folks, I have a 2004 Idea (UK) and I'm having a problem where the headunit/cd player even though it appears to be rigged to the ignition will turn itself on when the car is turned off and locked up.

For example, the car will be parked/locked and the headunit will be off, I'll go shopping and come back to find the radio on and blaring out. This also happens during the night, I come out in the morning to go to work and find the radio on and has run down my battery... so I need a jump start. As you can guess that last one is testing my patience.

Has anyone else had any similar problems or have any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks

Hi folks, I have a 2004 Idea (UK) and I'm having a problem where the headunit/cd player even though it appears to be rigged to the ignition will turn itself on when the car is turned off and locked up.

For example, the car will be parked/locked and the headunit will be off, I'll go shopping and come back to find the radio on and blaring out. This also happens during the night, I come out in the morning to go to work and find the radio on and has run down my battery... so I need a jump start. As you can guess that last one is testing my patience.

Has anyone else had any similar problems or have any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks

It's usually the CD player thinking a CD has been inserted and hence turning on the unit. Usually found on the MP3 version of headunits (MP3 symbol on button 6), normal CD units don't tend to suffer from the problem very much.

Ok, thanks for the info, I have put a CD in. The big test will this coming week be at 6am in the mornings when I head off to work. Will post any further problems next weekend.

Out of interest, does this mean if I change/upgrade the OEM headunit the problem will disappear too?

Had this on an old punto, the reason for it was a microswitch that detects you putting a CD in the slot, If the car is switched of and the radio with it, but you put a CD in the Radio turns on.

If the switch is faulty then the radio will intermittently turn its self on.
depending on the switch and the fault it may not help to leave a CD in, mine used to spit the CD in and when the car was left.

If you replace the Radio this will fix the fault, I managed to cure the fault in mine by taking the switch out of a smashed radio in a salvaged car.

Ok, so quick update.

Put CD in one evening, haven't had the problem since...... but, the following day the orange/yellow triangle "!" light showed up on my dash and has been on since.

Any thoughts?

Ok, so quick update.

Put CD in one evening, haven't had the problem since...... but, the following day the orange/yellow triangle "!" light showed up on my dash and has been on since.

Any thoughts?

Oohh..

Well thats odd :(

Possibly a low battery warning.. (voltages dropped on cranking..and a sensor noticed a LOW power event)

Only real way is plug into OBD port.. and see what the ECU is reporting..
Or disconnect battery for a few hours.. might just reset it

Does sound like SOME progress has been made though.. ;)

Charlie

Last edited:
Was thinking of using OBD2, just need to get hold of one that works with iPhone (and doesn't break the bank).

Possibly a low battery warning.. (voltages dropped on cranking..and a sensor noticed a LOW power event)

Update: I finally had a day off work and did some driving around, other than the to-and-fro to work, and the light has gone off. So I think you are right, the battery needed some charge.

Thanks. (y)

Back