Election then - Kinda inevitable. FF secret ballot!

Currently reading:
Election then - Kinda inevitable. FF secret ballot!

Who are you likely to vote for?

• Labour

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Conservative

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • SNP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Don't Care.

Votes: 12 15.6%

• Total voters
Ahhh how I wish I could be bothered to type enough to get into an "intellectual debate" about politics!!!
Britain a "little" better than Germany... *hmmm* Apeasement and Imperialism maybe not agreeable with everyone - but only a "little" better than the Third Riech? lol...

Paul have you read "Stupid White Men" by Micheal Moore?? :D He sounds like your role model ;) (*jokes*... no offense meant)

My comments when it comes to Politics should be taken lightheartedly as I'm probably just being antagonistic 'cos it's late ;)

**edit**

And by voting for UKIP none of what you said will happen... I'm doing it through my own little "mini" protest (afterall, every vote is important... HA!) and besides 1) They will not get anywhere and 2) Sports Science at Loughborough isn't going to be cancelled this September and tuition fees therefore don't apply to me :D;)

Last edited:
Typical politicals student....I expect you just covered the Micheal Moore book. This is why I like studying what I do. Have you seen Good Will Hunting? If you have, in the bar, Ben Affleck tries it on with the woman, I forget her name, this other bloke takes the **** out of Ben Affleck who isn't a student and is a labourer. Matt Damon, a well read genuis goes up to him and gives a speech about what book he has just read on his course and the findings from it, he then says "next year you will read book x and realise that y" and so on.

Basing anything on an opinion can often be a little dodgy, basing something on one of the world's most opinionated and biased men is always going to be dodgy.

Next year you will Chompsky anyway and change your mind ;)

Anyway, you're in the wrong century, the UK only got rich through being "proper bastards". We were nice last century, this century it is possibly changing already depending how you define our recent actions.

I would have to say that throughout history Britain have committed far worse atrocities than Hitler, however the fact that Hitler did it so recently in an age when we are supposedly approaching being civilized is almost inconceivable. what is even worse is that similar things are still happening in the world now, maybe not on the same scale, but still on a surprisingly large scale.

I know that there is a reluctance to get involved with the politics and religion of other coutries, especially where religious ideals are concerned, but if they can do it with Iraq, there are many other countries that require intervention, unfortunately they don't all possess the alterior motive of oil.

I certainly don't approve of the Iraq war, mainly because of the way in which it was carried out and the disinformation throughout, but there should be international laws to deal with such injustices in certain countries together with an international peace keeping force to enforce such laws, which would save the intervention of the US and anyone else stupid enough to be dragged in by them.

I thought you did American and Birtish politics?

Sports science at L'boro would most probably be closed if UKIP got into power, it's one of their manifesto pledges.

But you're right, fortunately they have no chance of getting anywhere!

Undertake a review of all undergraduate university courses and withdraw funding from those that are of insufficient standard. Fully fund those courses that remain.
Review the standards for grading all courses and ensure that students who do not pass the university’s annual examinations are not permitted to continue.
Cancel top-up fees, give maintenance grants as necessary, and scrap the student loan scheme.
Charge the same full fees to students from EU countries as are now paid by non-EU students.

I wouldn't like that,but we discussed that earlier in the thread.

Oh and Matt, the bit about politics students was said tongue in cheek although I read it and it didn't seem so due to the lack of piccies but I promise it was... :)

Hahaha - I know exactly what you mean about that film :D Good film too!
Nah - we don't cover that book in the course, quite unsurprisingly! I've been reading it recreationally for about a 6 months on and off - lol. It's a book that is only good for it's humor IMO.
I don't think I'm in the wrong century at all, seeing as I'm studying Gladstone and Disraeli too ;);) heh :D

L'boro - Sports Studies??? Insufficient standard??? Please tell me you are kidding!!! It's only one of the best sporting university institutions in Europe, if not the world?!?
I could walk into medical school with the grades I need to get into L'boro!
...and yeah I figured it was tongue in cheek ;)

Before anyone says it already exists it's called the UN, etc. It's the right idea, but has nowhere near enough power and is hampered by having representatives from every country. I know most people are going to think that that is a good thing because all of the nations have a voice within the UN, but it also has the effect of numerous conflicting views and numerous different allegences within one organization, which will never work very productively. It would be better to have a smaller group of officials to decide international policy, who are voted for democratically, although how you would properly regulate an international vote, I have no idea. The other disadvantage with an international vote is that there are too damn many Chinese people on the planet, so basically it would be giving the largest voice to the largest nations, so I guess the best idea would be to have an international vote between all countries with a population of over 2 million or some other mandatory figure, with a designated uniform number of voters from each country.

See I would hate to have been that man, but if I did politics I probably would be, I know that in chem eng somebody can't say:

Well you just studies Renolds numbers and you will think that turbulent flow is greater than 10000 Re but no, next year you will realise it's better to use.... etc.

It doesn't work in the same way.

Sports science at L'boro would most probably be closed if UKIP got into power
Don't be stupid. They are talking about polytechnics (not all of them obviously).
one of the world's most opinionated and biased men
You didn't say that when you agreed with him over Iraq.
"next year you will read book x and realise that y" and so on.
Whereas you already know everything...

Polytechnics don't exist....they are talking about specific types of courses from what I have learnt, ones that have no obvious benefit to society.

If you go read the thread, I did....(MM) "He makes good points but of course very biased"

No, but it's different with engineering, that was my points.

The Negotiator said:
See I would hate to have been that man, but if I did politics I probably would be.
:D
I know what you mean! It's fun to try and blag stuff that you've just learnt ;)
But tbh the Politics course at A Level isn't really structured in an argumentative way, it's factual based, systems of government ect.ect. You don't really get fed the views of others to regurgitate at will to impress some "chick"... unless you enjoy reciting textbooks!! However the History course is very much historiography based - So I'd happily start a "debate" in the style of Good Will Hunting's bar scene based on the history of Italian Unification... :D;):D

1.Someone had better tell my mates at APU (Anglia Polytechnic University)
2.What thread
3.Riiight. :D

The Negotiator said:
Polytechnics don't exist....they are talking about specific types of courses from what I have learnt, ones that have no obvious benefit to society.

So Sports Science at L'boro has no benefit to society...? Well what graduates do you think are organising the 2012 Olympic Bid (everyone BACK THE BID please!!) and will be running it if we get it and controlling all the new facilities that will greatly benefit the country after the games have gone?? As without proper management (by the properly qualified people aka *possibly* L'boro grads) there would be a real danger of many of the new facilities that would be put in place turning into "white elephants" ... but that's a different issue!

PS: gggggrrrrrrrr at your seemingly obvious disregard of Sports Science as a "proper" persuit at University!! Chemical Engineering - piffle I say IMO ;)

Last edited:
Some of them are still called polytechnics, some of them aren't. But either way I think you know the ones I meant when I said polytechnics.

Do I take it you are/were at Loughborough then BadBoyRacer? Me too.

It's a pointless policy anyway. There are no courses that don't benefit society, including the Degree in Klingon. Knowledge benefits society no matter what the knowledge, even if it's pop trivia. It is therefore what they deem to be of no benefit to society, which is leaving things very open for abuse. They might decide enviromental degrees are of no benfit to society, because the planet is beyond saving anyway or engineering is of no benefit to society, because without it we wouldn't have all the machines that pollute our environment. How can you possibly determine which is or isn't important? Different things are important to different people, that's why we all study different things.

Last edited:
Dr_Pepper said:
Do I take it you are/were at Loughborough then BadBoyRacer? Me too.

Not quite :D
Hope to be going there to study "Sports Science with Management" or "Sports and Leisure Management" this September, pending me not falling flat on my face in the upcoming exams!! I fell in love with the place tbh, it's where I always aspired to go and is the only University I applied to!
What did you study there? (This may be more appropreiate for PM ;))

Nah PM is boring - I think it's my thread so why not!

I'm doing computer science, finishing second year in June. To be honest I can only recommend the place, I'm sure they're all much of a muchness but the sports grounds are something else - it is great to be able to just book say badminton courts or whatever in a purpose built centre, and for cheaper than you'd get anywhere else.

Nice :D
My eyes nearly fell out of my head when I saw the main gym :D:D:D
There really is almost nothing you can't do - I fancy playing American Football but I reckon I'll only be big enough to be the ball!!! ;)
I also seem to like the fact that it's an enclosed campus, with everything together... mostly because I hate walking a long way :)
Also, second best teaching quality, only to Cambridge - not too shabby!

Back