Technical ecu problem!!!

Currently reading:
Technical ecu problem!!!

mercslk350

I have a Fiat Stilo 1.2 (2002) - had the diagnostic done which said the ecu is gone. Just need to know do I need to replace just the ecu or does the immobiliser box need to be changed too. Don't want to go to dealers who have quoted £1000 so I've tried a couple of other options - either from scrap yard from exactly the same car, or having the ecu repaired through company called 'ecu testing' mentioned in this forum. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What are the symptoms of the fault. It is probably something else.
Failed ECU's are rare, but dealers spouting crap and quoting huge bills because they don't know what they are doing is quite common.

The car won't start, diagnostic report said error code 01 which is ecu failure.

Tried that - nothing! This really is a last resort and just need some advice before I go ahead with it.

an ecu from the scrapyard is waisted money, it won't work because it is matched to the body-computer in the car it came from - once it is connected to a car it can't be used for another one....

Try disconnecting and reconnecting the plug(s) on the ECU.

I agree with John above. The actual ECU is seldom the problem. I knew someone who worked for Lucas reconditioning various ECUs. He said that 90% of the old units they got back as faulty, had nothing wrong with them.

The theory was that it was either a static charge in the wiring or a poor connection in the ECU connector. Both of which were cured by disconnecting and reconnecting the plug(s).

Dave.

Thanks mate. I've sent the ecu off to the 'ecu testing' place - they said they'll let me know if there is a fault, so waiting for the phone call.

What if I change the ecu and the body computer (both rfom the same make and model)- will this work????

Back