Technical ecu and turbo

Currently reading:
Technical ecu and turbo

Robin1600

On my garage bench is a 1242 unit 8 Valve.

When i low boost (garrett t15) the 1242cc unit- Do i need to change the Sei ECU or will it "learn". I know the reasons why people change to other ECU but do you need to for low boost?

With a "low blow" will i ever get any dump valve noise? Can i get anything above the figure of 0.3 Bar (mentioned here on this site) without major electronics?

Im new to the turbo scene.

Yes.............I have read some forums and FAQs.

Thanks. Rob

I assume the MF2 unit is a modified chip......... do i need that with a T15 on a "standard" ECU?

It doesn't matter how low an amount of boost you run, you will need some sort of modification to the cars electronics, be it by the VAD route of MF2, or Dastek Unichip piggy back controller which can control addition fuel injectors and boost, this is used on Rotrex supercharged Suzuki Ignis' or complete standalone ECU lie some on here are aiming to achieve either with Megasquirt/Emerald etc etc If you think the MF2 is a "chip" then you have more reading to do.

Even if you ran only 0.1bar of boost the map sensor would see this and send a message to the ECU which it wouldn't like and cut the fuelling to the car.

Yes you will get dump valve noise if you fit a vent to air model.

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow

Thats how an engine works. And our little engines have a MAP sensor to detect the vacuum in the inlet manifold (thats the Suck part(y) ). If the MAP senses pressure instead, then the ECU doesn't like it, and it cuts the fuel. Which is why you need to either use a fuel cut defender like the MF2 which fools the ECU into not seeing pressure, or you can run a standalone ECU instead.

EDIT: Aaron beat me to it, what he said.

just to add to this, the MF2 isn't a fuel cut defender, the MF2 uses a 2nd MAP sensor to see the pressure in the inlet manifold being forced in by the turbo, and then injects the correct amount of fuel for the pressure/vacuum being seen (this is the part that needs setting up). When fitting an MF2 you will also need to fit a fuel cut defender to stop the ECU cutting fuelling to the car.

Hope this make some kind of sense.

Lenny

Back