Technical Dust/grease cap removal

Currently reading:
Technical Dust/grease cap removal

eagleswing13

I am trying to replace my rear drivers side wheel bearing but am having trouble getting the dust/grease cap off. Has anyone else done this? Is it a pull off type or a screw off? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know the nut size so I can get the socket ahead of time

Hi it just knocks off with the aid of a screwdriver or fine chisel tip, note before you start the nut is stupidly tight you will need a seriously big torque wrench to remove and replace-most "normal" ones are NOT big enough I've put the torque figures on but it is 210 lbft I have never come across one this high, sorry cant help re size. torque figs are Nm left, lbft right in the table
20160810_131612.jpg

20160810_133319.jpg

20160810_133402.jpg

Last edited:
It doesn't have drums its all disc. So its kind of more a guideline. I tried changing it last night but the wheel didn't want to move after I tightened everything down

Sorry cant really help, though its fairly similar in that the disc will attach to the hub unit then the wheel, normally(outer bearing) there's a nut, spacer, bearing race, that all come out once undone, the other, outer part of the bearing being in the hub unit that would require a puller to remove, so yes it come apart like your previous question, then there's the inner bearing, outer(part of bearing) on hub, race on stud axel.
Its quite unusual for the rear bearing to fail any hit as to why it need replacing, are you sure you have the correct new one and have not torqued it too much, try say 60ftlb first, increase torque until it get tight and slacken off a bit, years ago the rear bearing torque was quite small on one of our cars, basically a good yank and that was it, but try and find the correct figure.

It was making a good humming sound coming from the rear. I checked most everything else and couldn't see any other good reason for the sound

Did discover something new just now. It may not be the rear bearings at all. The sound seems to be from the rear but it gets louder and more pronounced when you steer left. Lessen when steering right. Front bearings would be more a cause at that point no? I will try jacking the front end tomorrow and put the car in neutral. They should both spin freely in neutral correct?

Back