Duplicate threads

Currently reading:
Duplicate threads

I think we should have something in place to stop people posting the same thread in different topics.

e.g. when someone signs up and posts a thread in one topic and the same one in another topic in the hope of getting more attention.

It just gets confusing having 2 seperate discussions going on about the same thing, aswell as clogging up the forum with duplicated stuff.

So when someone starts a new thread, the script should check the previous three or so threads started by this user and check the similarity... if its over say 80% similar to another thread from this user (as they may have changed the wording etc) then it shouldnt allow the thread to be posted

:)

There are times when a double post is needed ie one in Bravo/a one in Marea but with a clear link to the other post in say the Bravo/a section as often Marea members dont look in that section and vica versa. It would be usefull if you could do this and when they clicked through on your post in the Marea section it would go direct to the Bravo topic if you know what i mean.

just hit the report button
report.gif
put link to the other thread in report box and say double thread please remove, and it will get sorted, if both have valid replies then they will be merged

on a similar note. it would be good if you started a new thread and the script searched for one with the same or similar name and advised the member of these before continuing to post the thread. it may be they get their answer without the need to post the thread.

is this possible?

This is how a lot of helpdesk systems work - before you can submit your ticket it returns a list of similar problems which might already hold the answer.

I like this idea, in theory it might not be too difficult to implement as the coding is already there (at the bottom of each thread you get a list of similar threads) - I'll go see if someone has already done this and if it can be used.

There are times when a double post is needed ie one in Bravo/a one in Marea but with a clear link to the other post in say the Bravo/a section as often Marea members dont look in that section and vica versa. It would be usefull if you could do this and when they clicked through on your post in the Marea section it would go direct to the Bravo topic if you know what i mean.
Very good point there :) Where possible we can move a thread around and leave a permanant redirect so there's only one thread but it appears in both places. If users want this done, they can request this for their threads using the report button (it's not only for bad stuff), and if I find a duplicate across the sections, I try and do this for them :)

Back