Technical ducato wheels.

Currently reading:
Technical ducato wheels.

Ducato s can come with a variety of wheel sizes. Eg in 2017 15inch wheels with pcd 118 or 16 with pcd 118 (light chassis) or 16 inch130 (maxi chassis)
So what have you got / need and the alternative?
thank you,i believe i have a [light chassis] as under 3.5 ,if tyre sizes are the same as what i have on my van,will stud pattern be the same.i am looking at some wheels with tyres on [market place].

thanks for your replys,i believe i have a light chassis as under 3.5 in weight.

thanks for your replys,i believe i have a light chassis as under 3.5 in weight.
Confusingly in UK most Maxi/Heavy vans are 3.5t - so that doesn't automatically tell you which van you have. The clue is usually the plastic wheel arches above the wheels - only Maxi/Heavy vans have them from factory. If you have a panel van, or even the cab from the original van, a Maxi/Heavi will have them.

I think it's much safer to check in EPER, someone could have added the plastics wheel arches, or it could have been added at the factory as an extra option.

Maxi can be 3,5 t or 4,0 t depending on the market.
Light chassis should be 3,0 t.

When you check in EPER with your VIN, in the 443 SUSPENSIONS AND WHEELS » 44316 -> WHEELS » 44316/00 WHEELS section it will tell you the rim size and the stud part number, with which you shall find the correct size.

On my 3,5t 2012 x250 maxi I have 16" wheels, the rim size is 6JX16'', 5x130. The studs part number is 1351203080, they are M16x1,50, lenght 64/29 mm, 21 mm socket.

As far as I remeber, 15" tires have M15 studs.

"Heavy" chassis wheel bolts are m16 thread, 21mm across flats hex head.

"Light" chassis wheel bolts are m14 thread but also 21mm across the flats hex head. So if you want to know you have to remove a bolt and measure the thread diameter

I think it's much safer to check in EPER, someone could have added the plastics wheel arches, or it could have been added at the factory as an extra option.

Maxi can be 3,5 t or 4,0 t depending on the market.
Light chassis should be 3,0 t.

When you check in EPER with your VIN, in the 443 SUSPENSIONS AND WHEELS » 44316 -> WHEELS » 44316/00 WHEELS section it will tell you the rim size and the stud part number, with which you shall find the correct size.

On my 3,5t 2012 x250 maxi I have 16" wheels, the rim size is 6JX16'', 5x130. The studs part number is 1351203080, they are M16x1,50, lenght 64/29 mm, 21 mm socket.

As far as I remeber, 15" tires have M15 studs.
I have an L3H2 light in UK and it is 3.5t. I believe most L3H2's light are 3.5t?

It is true that on occasion owners add the plastic wheel arches from the Maxi/Heavy to the light chassis.

Another quick way to determine which wheels (and thus chassis) you have is to measure the centre bore/hole. For the light chassis the centre is 71mm, for the Maxi/Heavy it is 78mm.

Unless someone has put "heavy" wheels on a "light" chassis

Unless someone has put "heavy" wheels on a "light" chassis
I don't think there is a way to put heavy wheels on a light chassis even if a person wanted to. The bolt positions (PCD) is different, the bolt diameter is different. Nothing would fit.

I don't think there is a way to put heavy wheels on a light chassis even if a person wanted to. The bolt positions (PCD) is different, the bolt diameter is different. Nothing would fit.

Hi,
Are you 100% sure On the x250 ducatto the pcd is different between light and heavy chassis?
I recently had to change rear hub and discs on an x250 -turned out to be light chassis- but (from memory) the hubs are identical apart from wheel bolt thread size.

So putting light wheels on a heavy chassis would be a no go if bolt holes too small for m16 bolts
But heavy wheels on a light chassis may be possible though not necessarily safe if the cone on the m14 wheel bolt doesn't engage fully with the m16 cone seat in the wheel- I would say just don't do it , instead be safe.
Best wishes
Jack

Last edited:
"Heavy" chassis wheel bolts are m16 thread, 21mm across flats hex head.

"Light" chassis wheel bolts are m14 thread but also 21mm across the flats hex head. So if you want to know you have to remove a bolt and measure the thread diameter
To spread confusion my x244 LWB PVC with a MAM of 3300kg has alloy wheels. The wheel bolts are M14 with 24mm across the flats.

Hi,
Are you 100% sure On the x250 ducatto the pcd is different between light and heavy chassis?
I recently had to change rear hub and discs on an x250 -turned out to be light chassis- but (from memory) the hubs are identical apart from wheel bolt thread size.

So putting light wheels on a heavy chassis would be a no go if bolt holes too small for m16 bolts
But heavy wheels on a light chassis may be possible though not necessarily safe if the cone on the m14 wheel bolt doesn't engage fully with the m16 cone seat in the wheel- I would say just don't do it , instead be safe.
Best wishes
Jack
Pretty sure. As far as I now the wheels and bolt patterns haven't changed on Boxer/Relay/Ducato between 2007 and present day. Heavy/Maxi has PCD 130 with centre bore of 78mm and M16 bolts, light chassis PCD 118 with centre bore of 71 mm and M14 bolts.

And using wheels from light to Maxi or from Maxi to light is simply a no go - at least for 2007-present day models. The bolt holes are in different places altogether - the bolts just wouldn't line up with the holes in the hub - no matter the size of the bolt or anything else. That's the meaning of the PCD.

All information above is freely available online - for example from here: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/fiat/ducato/

I've had to look into this a while ago as I wanted to upgrade my Ducato 2015 light chassis to 16" wheels - and most 16" steel wheels on the second hand market are Maxi/Heavy wheels. There is a version of 16" steel wheels for the light chassis - but it is rarer. Eventually I managed to track down and buy a set.

@xj25vm

Hi,

As you already know.... you are spot on😁
Brembo tech drawings confirm pcd figures you stated.

First drawing light chassis second drawing heavy.
Cheers
Jack

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230618-083844_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230618-083844_Chrome.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20230618-083927_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230618-083927_Chrome.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 47
Back