Technical Ducato Van Camper with factory fitted reversing camera

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato Van Camper with factory fitted reversing camera

smilghy

Hi All,

My camper (Forster FV 599 HB, 2021, LHD) is fitted with a factory reversing camera, but was delivered to builder with no headunit, etc, and was installed with an after market Alpine headunit. The factory reversing camera appears to not have been wired (the RCA from the headunit is not plugged in to anything, and when in reverse just shows a blank screen) and I am trying to find the camera signal wire.

Does anyone have any idea where it could terminate in the cab? Behind the headunit, it is not the standard 52 pin connector (which from looking at diagrams online, would have the camera signal), hence unsure where else to look. I've checked in the B pillar on the RHS, under the glovebox, behind the headunit.

I found this PDF online for a ProMaster (same platform), but no cable like that seems to exist:
1683148983193.png

I've taken the rear light off, and there is a cable coming from the camera, into a fatter loom, which eventually disappears.

I know its definitely a factory camera, as on Fiat MyCamper, its listed:
1683149088096.png

Anyone have any thoughts?

I have found a spare red Fakra connector behind the headunit. I have found online that possibly on 2021+ Ducatos, the factory reversing camera is digital and the signal goes through a Fakra connector. I have removed the stop light/camera and on this end there is a purple Fakra connector.

A german company appears to sell a kit to convert the digital signal to analogue RCA signal:
https://www.navlinkz.de/ci-fi21

Anyone have any further thoughts? Very much appreciate any info on this!

EDIT: It appears that a Fakra connector somewhere behind the dash is the cable for the reversing camera. Unsure if it is the one I have found. Connects2 do appear to also sell a kit to use this:
Manual: http://www.connects2downloads.co.uk/C2/files/InstallationGuides/CAM-FT1-RT_IG_v1.pdf

Reluctant to purchase one however, before I know its what I need.

EDIT2:

I tested in continuity mode, the centre pin of the red fakra connector found unconnected behind the headunit/radio with the connector of the prewired factory fitted reversing camera at the rear third stoplight. The continuity meter beeped! Thererfore I believe that the above mentioned Connects2 adapter should be correct, however I have not tested yet. I am writing this down so that others may find the answer when searching in the future as I suspect not too many people have come across this problem yet.

Last edited:
Final update on this. The Connects2 reversing camera retention kit did indeed result in a functioning OEM reversing camera on the Ducato with an aftermarket head unit.

As stated above, the Ducato was delivered to the builder without a head unit and I suspect, at the time of it being kitted out, the Connects2 kit was not available to translate the digital signal to an analogue RCA output, hence why it wasn't wired.

I've attached a couple of photos showing the oem rear view camera in action. It may look like it's not working correctly, but after changing from PAL to NTSC in the settings of the head unit, the image was much better.

Attachments

• IMG_20231004_184515.jpg
    IMG_20231004_184515.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20231004_185502.jpg
    IMG_20231004_185502.jpg
    810.9 KB · Views: 83
Back