Technical ducato brake vacum pump noise

Currently reading:
Technical ducato brake vacum pump noise

shopslog

Hi all could anyone help with a problem with a 2009 ducato 2.3? we have arrived back from France and Spain and covered approx 2400 miles which brought the overall mileage to 34600 ,the campervan never missed a beat but i noticed when idling there is a noise from the engine that i never heard prior to the journey but when i pump the brake pedal the noise goes away only to return a few seconds later, As the vacum pump and oil pump are in one unit is this a problem that anyone has had and what was the solution? Thank you all in advance for any help. ps the van is a Burstner c 600 city car. James.

Is the noise coming from the egr vacuum solenoid that is under the centre of windscreen scuttle panel? Possibly by continued pumping of the brake pedal is upsetting the vacuum that the solenoid is receiving. Just a thought, and an easy check.

I agree with LadyAndy, it's most likely to be the EGR solenoid valve. These are fed with a pulsed waveform, and they can make a bit of a buzzing noise especially when warm. You'll notice that the valve sits on rubber mounts to reduce noise transmission into the bulkhead, check that these are in place and haven't gone hard. After you switch off the engine they continue to run for a short period.

This device takes vacuum via thin rubber hose from the same pump as the brake servo, then sends out a variable vacuum via a second hose to operate the EGR valve (low down on the gearbox end of the engine). There is a third stub which vents to atmosphere and has a little foam air filter.

I suspect that changing the input vacuum slightly by operating the brakes is simply causing the valve to change position a little bit to compensate, and putting it into a less buzzy condition.

A new valve is about £40 and an easy swap.

Attachments

• X250 EGR Solenoid Valve.jpg
    X250 EGR Solenoid Valve.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 33
Is the noise coming from the egr vacuum solenoid that is under the centre of windscreen scuttle panel? Possibly by continued pumping of the brake pedal is upsetting the vacuum that the solenoid is receiving. Just a thought, and an easy check.
Hi the noise i am hearing is more of a rattle or clatter and when parked with the engine running the clatter goes away when i pump the brake pedal a few times only to return after a few seconds, would the valve cause that if faulty, i suppose the best way is to change the valve first, thank you all for the help. James

I would say either the solenoid or the egr valve its self is knackered and need to be tested/isolated.
tied to find solenoid on south coast motor homes and x250 does not appear to fit a 2009 2.3, i use this company as they do a lot of genuine fiat parts. ps do you know if the combined vacaum pump gives any bother my reg is taz555 thanks

Back