General Ducato Bonnet Opening Tips

Currently reading:
General Ducato Bonnet Opening Tips

SpanishAndy

Hi all, I have a Fiat Ducato 2.5TD and the bonnet release cable seems to have failed so any tips on how I can open the bonnet please?

Hi all, I have a Fiat Ducato 2.5TD and the bonnet release cable seems to have failed so any tips on how I can open the bonnet please?
Should be easier on older vehicles, has it broken the cable or is it just not moving the handle.
If not broken squirt oil everywhere along it's visible path, then have someone applying steady pressure to lever (without breaking it) and at the same time bang the bonnet in the catch area firmly but again without damaging it. This has worked for me many times.
If cable has broken inside the vehicle try and grip the end of the cable with Molegrips and again as previous advice.
If cable has broken under bonnet in engine compartment, see if visible from underneath and try and dislodge enough of it to pull whilst being careful not to drag metal cable across battery terminals !!!! Also oil as before to help.
Finally last resort is through the front grill, though some later vehicles have a protective plate to stop you doing that.
Another area is on early vehicles if you prize the bonnet up slightil at the side the cable comes in, it may be possible to pull some of the cable towards you to apply leverage to release bonnet catch.
Note, when trying all these methods oiling thoroughly and the bumping with the flat of your hand firmly on the bonnet above the catch will tend to help.
Finally when open remember at every service squirt a little oil on the bonnet mechanism which many mechanics forget.;)

Back