Technical Ducato 2.3 multi jet (2019) what way to turn over engine?

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2.3 multi jet (2019) what way to turn over engine?

Bengbong

So I want to remove the stretch belt from my Air con compressor what way does engine turn over from crankshaft pulley end ? Clockwise or Anti- clockwise?

thanks.

Strictly speaking you shouldn't turn the engine anti clockwise (when fitting belts)
But lots of people have done - including myself, and as far as I know its done no harm.

I think that clockwise rotation is almost universal. I have read of clockwise and anticlockwise engines paired in boats, to balance out the propeller turning effect on the boat.

If you turn an engine the wrong way there is the risk of timing belt or chain tensioners not working correctly, and the timing jumping out of correct position. Best not to risk it.

Strictly speaking you shouldn't turn the engine anti clockwise (when fitting belts)
But lots of people have done - including myself, and as far as I know its done no harm.
I agree, if I have had to do it I usually turn the pulley in the correct direction a little before starting, my theory is I do this in case it has put any slackness the wrong side of the belt so when started it could cause a snatch shock in the belt and tensioner set up.
In the old days some timing chain adjusters especially if just hydraulic with no ratchet would push back giving slack if engine turned backwards.

I agree, if I have had to do it I usually turn the pulley in the correct direction a little before starting, my theory is I do this in case it has put any slackness the wrong side of the belt so when started it could cause a snatch shock in the belt and tensioner set up.
In the old days some timing chain adjusters especially if just hydraulic with no ratchet would push back giving slack if engine turned backwards.
I grew up with chains, or even gears.

I grew up with chains, or even gears.
Apart from some old Perkins diesel engines, the last gear ones I worked on were timing ones on a 2.3 Ford Granada and before that a Russian Volga Estate in the early 1970s, which was like or the actual one from the James Bond film.
From memory both shredded fibre and lost drive and I don't think either was repaired.:)

If you turn an engine the wrong way there is the risk of timing belt or chain tensioners not working correctly, and the timing jumping out of correct position. Best not to risk it.
You are quite right and I always started the job with that in mind
But, working in such an awkward confined space, after a lot of frustration cursing and swearing I inevitably ended up turning the engine both ways to jiggle the (alternator etc) belt on
And then finish by turning the engine the right way to check the belt was on ok.
And I always got away with it.

Last edited:
Apart from some old Perkins diesel engines, the last gear ones I worked on were timing ones on a 2.3 Ford Granada and before that a Russian Volga Estate in the early 1970s, which was like or the actual one from the James Bond film.
From memory both shredded fibre and lost drive and I don't think either was repaired.:)
In 1952 my father purchased a 1936 Riley Adelphi 15/6 to replace a 1936 Hillman 10 with which I had grown up. The Riley had a centrifugal clutch, and a Wilson preselector gearbox. Over the years much refurbishment was done on the engine. I learnt about regrinding, bearing scraping, piston clamps, core plugs, and tube expanders among other items. The car had a vacuum driven automatic chassis lubrication system (no rubber bushes), which I think also managed to lubricate the prop shaft. Some restoration was needed to that system. The dynamo was on the front end of the crankshaft. I could mention more. My own first vehicle was a series 2A 2.25ltr diesel Land Rover. I had to learn to double declutch.

In 1952 my father purchased a 1936 Riley Adelphi 15/6 to replace a 1936 Hillman 10 with which I had grown up. The Riley had a centrifugal clutch, and a Wilson preselector gearbox. Over the years much refurbishment was done on the engine. I learnt about regrinding, bearing scraping, piston clamps, core plugs, and tube expanders among other items. The car had a vacuum driven automatic chassis lubrication system (no rubber bushes), which I think also managed to lubricate the prop shaft. Some restoration was needed to that system. The dynamo was on the front end of the crankshaft. I could mention more. My own first vehicle was a series 2A 2.25ltr diesel Land Rover. I had to learn to double declutch.
We had a customer with a Lanchester 10 with pre selector gearbox, but I don't think I was given the opportunity to drive it as a mad teenager.
Around the garage etc. I "learned the basics in a 1955 Series 1 Land Rover swb, with a Harvey Frost Recovery crane in the back and a Ford 100E van.
In the early 1970s that Land Rover was called into service nearly every single week on the 70Mph limited road outside our garage for serious accidents.
The road would be blocked both ways meaning we drove at a 45 degree angle on the grass bank to the recovery job, often before the Police and Ambulance, if a bit gruesome the older mechanic would hand me a broom and tell me to clear all the broken glass etc from the road.:(

So glad I started this post, some wonderful stories coming out here👍👏 keep them coming!
And thanks for the info

Back