Technical Ducato 150 Multijet chasis based Motorhome 2.3 cc

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 150 Multijet chasis based Motorhome 2.3 cc

Redpara

I have a Fiat Ducato 150 Multijet 2.3cc engine powered chasis based Motorhome.
I have been replacing a Passenger. Side electric mirror when I came across a cable typed encapsulated in clear plastic coated strands of what looked like material strands. This was at some point attached to the mirror, but came free and I don't exactly know from which point on the mirror. It's also attached somewhere else also to the vehicle inner door and I cannot at present locate this as it's fallen back inside the door well. So my question is what is this encapsulated material type cable for i.e. what is it's CV purpose and also at which points on the Motorhome Door and mirror is it attached...

The various wired options for the (LHS) passenger side mirror are generally; heating, electrical adjustment, powerfold (but rarely), and radio aerial.

AFAIK, the temperature sensor option is in the RHS mirror, so this is unlikely.

Not a lot of detail to go on, but my first guess would the radio aerial.

You might want to look at this page:

...select mirrors with the various options, and drill down through the underlying pictures (clicking on the pictures will magnify them) and see if the wiring/cabling on any of them looks like yours.

The various wired options for the (LHS) passenger side mirror are generally; heating, electrical adjustment, powerfold (but rarely), and radio aerial.

...select mirrors with the various options, and drill down through the underlying pictures (clicking on the pictures will magnify them) and see if the wiring/cabling on any of them looks like yours.
Yes I was told that but it's where it connects to and from as when I removed the mirror the cable pulled away and i didn't notice till I saw it fall back into the door well opening. As for where the other end that came away to hen that's a mystery as there were no signs of where it had been connected ?
I'll take a look at this link... Thanks

The cables for the options I've described are "permanently" attached inside the mirror at that end. If you have options such as the radio aerial or the temperature sensor, then you are expected to buy a replacement mirror with these already installed, not re-use these in a new mirror casing. (Though I believe some people have had some success in hacking a replacement temperature sensor in).

I've only replaced the driver's side mirror, but the electrical connections for that side are accessible by removing the electric window panel from the door trim/armrest. They are clipped to the bodywork and accessible, but fiddly. You may already know that, but I suspect the passenger side connections may be similar.

There are a good few videos on Youtube of replacing a Ducato door mirror - perhaps one has the appropriate info.

The cables for the options I've described are "permanently" attached inside the mirror at that end. If you have options such as the radio aerial or the temperature sensor, then you are expected to buy a replacement mirror with these already installed, not re-use these in a new mirror casing. (Though I believe some people have had some success in hacking a replacement temperature sensor in).

I've only replaced the driver's side mirror, but the electrical connections for that side are accessible by removing the electric window panel from the door trim/armrest. They are clipped to the bodywork and accessible, but fiddly. You may already know that, but I suspect the passenger side connections may be similar.

There are a good few videos on Youtube of replacing a Ducato door mirror - perhaps one has the appropriate info.
Hi yes I've seen a few videos on you tube buy they don't explain the cable I'me describing. I've ordered a new mirror from a Fiat dealer, which due to stock hasn't arrived as yet.

So when I fit my new mirror where do I stand with this aerial cable, or is it as you say enclosed inside the new mirrur and doesn't need any re connection to the motorhome in any way.

I hope this is the case as it would make re fitting allot simpler. The new mirrors aren't that difficult to fit as long as you can muster another pair of hands to hold the new mirror in place whilst you fit it to the door shell. It's electrical cable is just a push in connection.

There are no other cables to connect apart from the one I've been looking for answers regarding, and if this is enclosed in the new mirror casing, then how does it connect a cable which was originally attached to the old mirror casing and door shell on the replaced mirror ?

Once I've established this then I'll be able to complete the installation .....

Alan

I know nothing about mirrors other than that read in various forums. Additional confusion arises from lhd and rhd having thier own specific left and right mirrors. As previously mentioned you buy the correct mirror with all connections and attach to electrical connections in door.

I know nothing about mirrors other than that read in various forums. Additional confusion arises from lhd and rhd having thier own specific left and right mirrors. As previously mentioned you buy the correct mirror with all connections and attach to electrical connections in door.
OK so the cable in question that was on the original defected mirror, now becomes obsolete on the replacement mirror. Which then begs the question what provides the radio signal via this so called aerial connection to the vehicle radio, which after connecting the electrical wiring from the new vehicle mirror to the vehicle wiring connection, and because the old cable in question no longer exists, which then doesn't have an airwave signal supply ( if that's the correct term ) so as to supply an adequate signal to the vehicle radio. 🤔

Take the whole door card off will probably solve your problem , will then enable you to see where all the cable connections and runs are . Or get your friendly Fiat dealer to lift your leg to fit it ..!!

I think we need to go back to first principles.

The mirrors come with different options, which define the cabling that comes with a specific mirror. You need to be clear which options you have, and order a direct replacement.

The basic electrical heating and adjustment function is provided by a single cable/wire set, terminated AFAIR in 8-way connectors which are inserted into a matching connector accessible by removing the window switch panel.

As you have described an additional cable set, the best guess for a LH mirror is that this is for the radio aerial inside the mirror. (We haven't proven that it's an aerial though - it is simply best guess). Even these over the years have come as FM only, FM/DAB, or even the same with GPS.

Unless your motorhome converter has fitted a separate aerial, any such fitment and cabling would not be obsolete, and should be replicated in your new mirror. The key thing is that, for a replacement mirror you need to buy one with the same option(s), and it will come with the appropriate cabling. If your radio is currently supplied by a mirror aerial, you need to buy a replacement similarly equipped, and re-connect the additional wiring.

As I say, I haven't replaced a unit with an aerial fitted, so don't know where the specific connection for this is made. But, looking at listings, it appears that the aerial lead termination(s) which will be a Fakra plug/socket. A wiring example of an electrically heated/adjustment mirror with a FM/DAB aerial is here:

fiat_ducato_peugeot_boxer_citroen_relay_long_arm_rear_view_mirror_2006-2014_34546_3_.jpg

The eight-way connectors fit into a (retained) mating block under the door window switch panel. I could, however, believe that any aerial connection(s) might be "floating", and I'm not clear on how that is routed.

So viewing the image of these threads 2 of them have female 8 way connectors, and the other 3 have single female plug in connectors. I haven't used a single female connector on my MH, just a be 8 socket female plug in connector.
So this is where it's confusing me, as once the mirrors electrics are connected to the vehicle wiring connection the mirror works fine.

However I've not tried the radio so I cannot say that if the mirror and vehicle wires are connected together it incorporates some wiring for the radio i.e. replacing the original aerial cable I initially posted this question about.

What I will do is turn on the radio once the mirror and vehicle electrics are connected to see if the radio operates as it has been prior to the mirror being replaced.

Alan

As already said, it's only conjecture as to any additional cabling being for an aerial (though it is a likely option).

In the picture above, the additional (grey) 8-pin would be used to provide power to the amplified mirror aerial. (and, I think, power-fold if fitted, which is unlikely). If it reflects practice at the other mirror for the temperature sensor, it should connect in the door next to the black 8-pin.

The other single female connectors are for the aerial signal (though I would have expected at most two, FM and DAB - the picture is simply an example of differential wiring).

As already said, it's only conjecture as to any additional cabling being for an aerial (though it is a likely option).

In the picture above, the additional (grey) 8-pin would be used to provide power to the amplified mirror aerial. (and, I think, power-fold if fitted, which is unlikely). If it reflects practice at the other mirror for the temperature sensor, it should connect in the door next to the black 8-pin.

The other single female connectors are for the aerial signal (though I would have expected at most two, FM and DAB - the picture is simply an example of differential wiring).
So bearing in mind the radio I have in my motorhome "IS NOT A DAB RADIO" then I would surmise that any of the wiring in the picture above suggests that my mirrors wiring is not associated to having a radio connection on the wiring, but I'me not entirely sure...

Not necessarily. If it's an FM only radio, then it will have less aerial connections, but it could still have a mirror aerial.

Two things to check - is there an aerial elsewhere? (e.g. if a panel van conversion, is there a cab-roof aerial - as it is very unlikely both would have been fitted). Is there another 8-pin connector next to the one you've connected the mirror control to? - this would potentially be the power supply to the mirror aerial amp).

Definitively, though, if the radio still works as previously, then it is unlikely it is doing so off a mirror aerial (and it begs the question as to what the other connection you refer to is/was).

I've been instructed that the heating control on a RHD Fiat Ducato 2.3cc Motorhome Chassis's are in the driver's side mirror only, and definatly not in the LHS mirrors which is the mirror I'me replacing.

Not necessarily. If it's an FM only radio, then it will have less aerial connections, but it could still have a mirror aerial.

Two things to check - is there an aerial elsewhere? (e.g. if a panel van conversion, is there a cab-roof aerial - as it is very unlikely both would have been fitted). Is there another 8-pin connector next to the one you've connected the mirror control to? - this would potentially be the power supply to the mirror aerial amp).

Definitively, though, if the radio still works as previously, then it is unlikely it is doing so off a mirror aerial (and it begs the question as to what the other connection you refer to is/was).
Well there is another 8 pin electrical female connector which isn't connected to any other wiring and hadn't been even when I'm removed the damaged mirror, but what that wiring is for I not know ...

There's no other aerial's elsewhere on the vehicle as I can find. and the fitted radio still operates and does a station search as normal..

I can assure you that (where heated mirrors are fitted) they are fitted to both sides. All the standard mirror functions (movement and heating) are provided through the black 8-pin connector on either side.

Where other options are present, the grey connector is used - power folding on each side, mirror aerial amplifier supply on passenger side (RHD) and temperature sensor on drivers side (RHD). Where a mirror aerial is fitted, there will also be at least one aerial lead present.

(BTW, I wasn't suggesting the pictured mirror was suitable for your vehicle, simply using it as an example of the connections that might be present).

Back