500 Driveshaft

Currently reading:
500 Driveshaft

Did

hi, can anyone give me a better idea as to why my n/s drive shaft popped out at the gearbox end? (i don't wheelspin) my 500 is on coilovers, is this the problem? as a new n/s shaft from the dealer is £239 + VAT :mad: the shaft is intact, it didn't snap and it's not bent, any ideas why this has happened to me?

well you see thats a good question, i took it out and refitted it thinking it might be a one off as i didn't get any of the usual clonking noises when cornering etc so i put it back together, tightened the hub nut and got underneath for a look and there it was not all the way in to the gearbox, had about 10-15mm to go. so i stripped it down again and made sure it was in place but it just seems to work its way out even when the car is on stands which makes me think it's not the coilovers thats causing it..? is it possible it's been replaced before (as the car has a high mileage) and incorrectly fitted causing the splines on the shaft at the box end to wear leaving me with this problem? it's so frustrating :( soz for the essay lol

This might be a stupid comment as I don't know the design on the 500, but it sounds like you might be missing a circlip/jump ring which is applied to a groove on the splined part of the shaft. Normally this pops into place when you push the shaft in, and holds the inner part of the shaft in place while the inner shaft joint compresses/extends to allow suspension movement. Sounds like on yours, the resistance of the rubber boot to being stretched is pulling the shaft out again.

It's not this particular part but this gives you an idea of what it looks like: http://www.munichmotorcycles.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=518

-Alex

Thanks for your comment alexGS, any advice is better than none :) the circlip is still very much there :( wish it wasn't as then i'd have something to go on lol however could the rubber boot be what's causing it to come out? or a combination of the two, a weak circlip? and an incorrectly fitted boot?

Thanks guys for the help and advice about my driveshaft.. i removed the d/s once again today in the pissing rain as would be expected lol and had a look and it certainly appeared to be the rubber boot stretching which was causing the shaft to pull from the gearbox, (not sure if this is due to having my coilovers fitted) but i've compressed the rubber boot slightly to relieve the tension on it and replaced the circlip thingy and she's like brand new (y) Cheers folks!!:):)

Back