General Driveline vibration

Currently reading:
General Driveline vibration

chrisb7777

Inline for a good time!
Hi everyone

Iv had an annoying vibration for a couple of years now from the steering wheel!

Just drove the cinq to london and back (didnt miss a beat as always!) and i cant live with any longer!

I believe it is a driveline issue as opposed to balance as i have had 2 or 3 sets of tires and alignments since it started. The vibration occurs anywhere from 65+ which is a pain for motorways!

I feel that the vibration gets worse the longer i drive, possibly temperature related? Also changes frequency when cornering. Sometimes i can go up to 75 with no vibration but it will eventually appear...

I have replaced both outer cv joints, new struts/springs, changed gearbox oil, rear transmission mount since the problem occurred but it doesn't change!

Where is my next direction?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

The track rod end and bottom arm ball joints should have no detectable play and the wheel spigots need to be tight. If your on OEM wheels undo two bottom strut bolts and check bottom ball with big lever. Replace nylocs and locktight.

Run auto up on ramp and check drive shafts have no play at either end use effort.

Id check the rears as well if you get noise over bumps.

Thanks for the replies!

All stock on the front, no wheel spacer. Yes rubber damper is in place.

I will check all suspension joints tomorrow for play, is it best to do this with the car on the ground or on axle stands?

I believe my rear trailing arm bushes are going as i occasionally get the a nasty knock over certain speed bumps etc

I will report back with my findings

Chris

The rack inner and outer joints can be tested with the auto on ground easier with second person in auto. Turn to full lock and hold tie rod while assistant tries to turn steering wheel no play alloeed

the lower ball joints I need to remove the lower strut bolts after putting the front of auto on stands and use A big lever to feel for movement donno how other people do it. no play allowed

for drive shafts I use drive on ramps and swing on shafts like monkey my shafts have some movement and the harmonic damper is showing wear but no vibration is apparent even at 80 indicated

you need to do the rear metal elastics if they are noisy as the vibration may vanish you will find they are destroyed.

one last test with the wheel in the air stick a screw driver on the hub and in ear and spin the wheel if there is a repetitive knock the outer race may be damaged

I had one come out as a split ring should have kept it

It caused vibration at high indicated speeds

have you had all the wheels balanced properly ? vibration at that speed is most commonly wheel balance needing done plus check the tyre pressures are equal

one last test with the wheel in the air stick a screw driver on the hub and in ear and spin the wheel if there is a repetitive knock the outer race may be damaged

I had one come out as a split ring should have kept it

It caused vibration at high indicated speeds

Check the rear bearings as well.

Back