General Dozing hand-brake ?

Currently reading:
General Dozing hand-brake ?

I noticed this one during my trip, via every traffic jam going, on my way to the Rabid Castle Auto Italia doodah this weekend.

Stuck in the traffic, moving one car length every 20 minutes, I frequently turned the ignition off, rather than just leaving the car idle on the Stop-Start (which performed perfectly, I have to say).

A few times, when I turned the ignition on and then attempted to move off, the hand-brake would not release. Other times, it worked immediately. There was no set pattern (sometimes it held on, other times it worked fine...) so I'm a bit perplexed. I thought it might be that it needs a few seconds to "activate" when the car is turned on.. but when it worked fine, I wasn't doing anything different.

To clear the "hold" I pretty much had to drive through it, and it took the hint and let go... but just wondering if anyone had similar..?

Ralf S.

To clear the "hold" I pretty much had to drive through it, and it took the hint and let go... but just wondering if anyone had similar..?

Ralf S.
I occasionally get this on my 2015 500X.

Besides "driving through" I've found that applying the foot brake or going to neutral, release clutch and back to 1st will often sort things out. Or just apply the foot brake and manually release the handbrake. (CAUTION! Not a good good idea on a hill start)

The worst times this happens to me is when towing and on a hill start. "driving through" is far far more difficult!

I tried pumping the brake pedal a couple of times to see if that woke it up (via the clutch pedal switch that normally releases the brake automatically) but that didn't seem to do anything, so it seems like the "release" message was already in the system but the car just hadn't got round to doing it.

It's not a problem (so far!) when the engine is on, or when SS is activated... just when I turn the key on, and move off immediately, even though the car hasn't performed all its checks. I'd say it happens around 20% of the time.. so not a huge problem... but curious all the same. It seems like sometimes the car just needs a split-second longer to activate all its facilities...

Ralf S.

Back