Styling Dot Matrix and window tints

Currently reading:
Styling Dot Matrix and window tints

s1mmo

Ok, just had my windows tinted and it looks BLOODY AWESOME...except the dots you can see on the back windows (n) (the dot matrix)

I was told to wait a week before running my thumb around the outside to get the tint to stick to the dots...need to give it time for the moisture to evaporate.

Just went outside now (with a tourch lol) and tried to get the dots to dissapear and the tint wouldnt stick at all!

Keep in mind it's EXTREMLEY cold out nowdays, will that effect it ?, will I need to give it another week you think ? :eek:
Anyone else have this on thier GP ? :p

Last edited:
definitely leave it a week, it'll go down no problem afterwards, try not to touch it too much straight away otherwise you risk disturbing the film, or worse still putting a crease in it.

let it dry and then run your finger around it, or use a credit card wrapped once in a micro fibre cloth and slowly go round the perimeter of the window.

bear in mind, that you're likely to always see a tiny ring around the matrix, as the film will never sit completely tight over the dot.

It's been a week today you see. Still looks aweful on the back windows.

It's just it's super cold nowdays and was wondering if I should give it longer or something :yum:

Thanks for the info Harry, I thought the dots would completley dissapear. At least I know now my tints are not **** :worship:

Cheers

so it's been a week and you've run your finger over the matrix and the film still hasn't sat tight? did you try the credit card and microfibre method - it may need a little more pressure than what you're applying by hand.

and as for my comment about the rings never disappearing completely just imagine the little diagram below is a magnified view of the cross-section of a dot in the matrix. the dot is the [] bit and the film which has been layed over it is the / \ part. on some cars the dots in the matrix are really tall, so trying to get the film to stick to the very base of the dot is impossible, mercs tend to be the worse for this - so the ring is more visible than it would be on another car.

/[]\

hope that makes sense it a strange sort of way. :D

Perfect reply, thanks. I'll give it ago. :slayer:

BUMP. got my windows tinted today...was a little disappointed with the lines round the edge where the dots are...anyone got a solution?

I had my back windows done three weeks ago and i had the same problem so i took it back, the bloke that did my windows said that on fiats and french cars the dot matrix is very pronounced so the film never compleatly goes over the dot matrix with out leaving air gaps.

He did as said in other post run a credit car around the edge this did improve the apperance but you can still see the dots, i think i am just going to have to get used to it.

Back