500 dos and donts, which one?

Currently reading:
500 dos and donts, which one?

cocker

Hi, im getting my wife a fiat 500, (first one,:D) which one ?,:confused: which one to stay away from?, (n) ,thanks,

It depends! For example:

what environment will the car spend most time in?
what will the annual mileage be?
how does the main driver like to drive?
how important is economy?
how important are "extras" like aircon/alloys/phone connectivity?
how tight is your budget?
how long will you keep it for?

Answer these and you may get some guidance.

ATB.

Hi, im getting my wife a fiat 500, (first one,:D) which one ?,:confused: which one to stay away from?, (n) ,thanks,

A lesson learnt from a recent thread is to stay away from the Dealer armed with an accessories brochure - it's all to easy to tick on the options list.

A quick answer is a 1.2 Lounge in BNW but the longer you spend looking at various options the more it will cost you.

As other forum users have stated, this question largely depends on the use of the car and how the driver likes to drive.

When I made my decision, it was based on a low number of miles (4000 per year) because I use my motorbike more often than a car.

I wanted a car that didn't feel cheap and wasn't just a basic car ie had to have a certain level of comfort and equipment. Hence I went for a Lounge with climate control rather than the Pop. The USB port being particularly useful for an iphone user!!

I also wanted a car with low running costs, so when it was parked outside the house for 60% of the year, it didn't cost too much. The £30 road tax and group 6 insurance for the 1.2 won out over the Twin Air £0 road tax but group 11 insurance for me. The difference in MPG between the 1.2 and Twin Air wasn't enough to justify the extra £1500 for my annual mileage. The extra horse power would have been nice, but if I want to have a thrash around, I use the bike anyway. I use the car for those more sedate days.

My commute is only 7 miles each way and I was finding that my previous diesel car wouldn't warm up by the time I got to work, so I would probably have the problems associated with low miles and the DPF regeneration. In addition the £2500 hike in purchase price put me off the diesel. With the difference in MPG, it would have taken me nearly 48 years at my annual mileage rate to make the difference in purchase price worth while.

From all of that, I ended up with a 1.2 Lounge which is perfect for the occasional short distance commute and a "once every 6weeks" 200 mile round trip to visit my folks. I've found the 500 ideal around town, acceptable on the local rural roads for my commute and surprisingly comfortable and competent on the motorway.

And that's how I came by my decision. You'll need to go through a similar thought process, I guess.

Back