General Door Mirrors

Currently reading:
General Door Mirrors

jamx2

I have both door mirrors broken now from people driving past and hitting them, the plastic casing is broken so I have secured tightly with black tape, the glass is a bit cracked and on the passanger side a small amount of glass has broken off. my question is 3fold.

1. can the door mirrors cause an mot failure?
2. where can i buy new mirrors as I am having no luck online an I dont see many Fiat parts depots around?

The mirrors are not electric or heated or colour coded, any idea of cost?

Cheers guys

Jamx2

You need the mirrors to be present and functional to pass an MOT but that's about it.
Some peopel just buy a new glass (halfords do them) and stick them over the current broken glass. As long as they are secure. work as intended and the casing doesn't provide a hazaed to pedestrians (ie no sharp edges sticking out) you should be ok.

If the mirrors are the basic screw in ones i would imagine you could pick up a set from the scrapyard or ebay. I dont envisage many ulysee's in the scrappies though

Pat H said:
You need the mirrors to be present and functional to pass an MOT but that's about it.
Some peopel just buy a new glass (halfords do them) and stick them over the current broken glass. As long as they are secure. work as intended and the casing doesn't provide a hazaed to pedestrians (ie no sharp edges sticking out) you should be ok.

Halfords do not do the replacement glass for the Mk1 the last time I tried to buy one. It was main dealer only! and not cheap.

Gordon

I phoned Fiat dealers £70.63 for a complete mirror, the drivers side can fail the mot not the passanger side.

where the mirror has been hit the complete mirror is loose on the frame of the car, I wonder if I can take it off and try and reseat it?

2 words super glue, small screws screw into the plastic of the mirror thats the bits that brake off happened to the wife a traffic cone jumped out at her:confused: ebay sometimes sell the mirror glass i got a whole mirror from swan street motors cant remember how much i did get a complete headlight and indecator for £100 delivered tried fiat but cheeper buying another ulysse

ebay item number 4606314357 seller is part-zone say they sell door mirrors and a lot more for the ulysse all new(y)

does anyone know how I connect a new mirror, it looks like 3 screws with star shaped heads? holding it in place and then there is a a cable running through to the inside of the car?

It is a manual mirror, I take it the cable is for the manual turning device, I really need step by step instructions for removal and refitting so I dont mess it up. How difficult a job is this?

Appreciate your advice

Jamx2

hopefully this will help if you do need any more help drop me an email [email protected] (y)

Attachments

• ulysse.jpg
    ulysse.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 58
Thanks guys, this site is extremely helpful for an amateur like me who does not have a clue, just a couple more questions what do you advise using when removing the manual control part (no 3 on diagram) a small screwdriver maybe? I dont want to break the lugs when removing, also do you know how difficult it is to unplug and refit the new cable on the mirrors? knowing my luck it will be extremely fiddly.

Thanks again you are all a great help

:) Hi

I've been struggling with an all electric mirror that had been belted by something. With patience, everything does come apart.

If you can live with the problem, I would recommend waiting for warmer weather, unless you have a heated garage?

The modern car is designed for speed on the production line and plastic 'lugs/clips' are the order of the day. Try to remove the door trim, switches and vent outlets when they are cold, and breakage is more likely. Sorry to be negative.

Good luck with your problem

Sean

i used a small screw driver then the rubber bit you agust the mirror pulls off tie a bit of string to the cable before you pull it out with the mirror if you dont it may take a while and:bang: to wiggle it back with the new mirror .good luck(y)

Back