Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Attachments

• 20240515_074450.jpg
    20240515_074450.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 79
  • 20240515_074514.jpg
    20240515_074514.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 51
Unfortunately most modern cars have problems with roof lining. Mine after 8 years started making bubbles in random places across the roof. Which is quite common here in Greece where cabin temperature sometimes exceedes 50 degrees C (especially during summer). However if the problem is only near the door frame, you should have the car checked for water leaks.

However if the problem is only near the door frame, you should have the car checked for water leaks.

I think it's a friction issue in my case. We have long winters here, and I'm normally wearing warm hooded jackets. Whenever I was getting in the car, I was touching that part of the door frame with my hoodie. It was going on for years, and by the time I realized what was happening, it was too late, the upholstery had started to come off.

I think it's a friction issue in my case. We have long winters here, and I'm normally wearing warm hooded jackets. Whenever I was getting in the car, I was touching that part of the door frame with my hoodie. It was going on for years, and by the time I realized what was happening, it was too late, the upholstery had started to come off.
This sounds really plausible.

Generally roof lining glues are designed to just keep the fabric and its natural weight attached to the roof board. Yes age, temperature etc can cause the glue to finally go off but this is normally associated with sagging of the lining in the inner and larger areas.

What you need is a good fabric contact adhesive to re-glue the affected area. I would then consider a scuff guard just in that area. This would be a thin (1mm-2mm) plastic/polythene guard inserted behind the door seal upper inner roll rubber surround. Won't look pretty but will guard and deflect against bulky hood gear required in colder climates.

Back