Don't forget the Electorial Reform Vote 5th May

Currently reading:
Don't forget the Electorial Reform Vote 5th May

Argonought

It's about GO! not SHOW!
The big Tory contributors have spent millions trying to con the public into keeping an archaic voting system in place that tends to keep the Tories in power with big majorities together with all their vested interests.

Make sure your "YES" vote counts tomorrow (y)

Vote for who you want to win an election, not for who you want to come second or third or ........

Make sure your "NO" vote counts tomorrow
thumb.gif

Daft bloody idea, would have been much more use having a referendum on the EU... but I won't start that one on here. :)
Oh and yes I will be voting, think you could guess which way.

Last edited:
Why would anyone vote "NO" :confused::confused::confused:

It's about close as you can get to saying you don't want democracy :eek:

People die in many places to just get it and yet folks here seem to not even want electoral reform. AV was actually suggested over a century ago in this country and if they could understand then - then I don't see why not now.

Electing an MP who is preferred by over 50% of the electorate is frankly a no brainer (meaning more people want the MP than don't) - and the only fairer system is true PR.

This makes it real easy to understand (y)

Don't let the Tories make a monkey out of you - unless of course you're already a member of the super rich - in which case it might be in your interest to keep the Tories in power

Why would anyone vote "NO" :confused::confused::confused:

It's about close as you can get to saying you don't want democracy :eek:

People die in many places to just get it and yet folks here seem to not even want electoral reform. AV was actually suggested over a century ago in this country and if they could understand then - then I don't see why not now.

Electing an MP who is preferred by over 50% of the electorate is frankly a no brainer (meaning more people want the MP than don't) - and the only fairer system is true PR.

This makes it real easy to understand (y)

Don't let the Tories make a monkey out of you - unless of course you're already a member of the super rich - in which case it might be in your interest to keep the Tories in power
then why is it out of only 3 countires in the world who already use this system, Australia, Fiji and New Guinea, and Australia is trying to abolish it?

'Don't let the Tories make a monkey out of you'
really? I think the last government did that, when they near enough bankrupt us. Last time Labour did that was Before Margaret Thatcher got in, and it was her and her tory goverment that got the country booming again (y), not quite making monkeys out of us :rolleyes:

then why is it out of only 3 countires in the world who already use this system, Australia, Fiji and New Guinea, and Australia is trying to abolish it?
That's just drivel from a lot of the media (financed by guess who :)).

Most countries use a form of PR of which there are a huge number of variants and the UK is in the dark ages by comparison.

Comment about Australia is actually wrong - if they did update their voting system then it most certainly would NOT be for FPTP (n) There is not a single instance of any democracy returning fully to FPTP (although France did revert to something of a 50:50 mix)

'Don't let the Tories make a monkey out of you'
really? I think the last government did that, when they near enough bankrupt us. Last time Labour did that was Before Margaret Thatcher got in, and it was her and her tory goverment that got the country booming again (y), not quite making monkeys out of us :rolleyes:
I agree to a degree - but then that's an even bigger reason for voting "YES" (y)

A "YES" win would hurt the Tories worst but it's not good news for Labour either (which is why some of the old brigade support the "NO" campaign).

The Labour leader has at least taken the moral high ground on this by supporting the "YES" campaign. Basically, he has the foresight to see that in the future parties must work together - which is for the good of the country.

The vote tomorrow is massively important and I'm quite surprised by some of the comments here as it's normally very old people who struggle with change.

i'll be voting no as i think that the system we got is fine as it is. i heard the costs are gonna be quite a lot to change the system and thats costs we dont need atm

My vote doesnt count for ****. Too many sheep in my constituency who always vote the same way regardless of what ever shenanigans happen.
I know the feeling. :)

But if your MP gets over 50% of the vote then at least you have to accept it's fair.

What annoys me is when the sitting MP gets elected with only 40% of the vote and me and the other 60% voted against him.

AV sorts that at least (y)

i'll be voting no as i think that the system we got is fine as it is. i heard the costs are gonna be quite a lot to change the system and thats costs we dont need atm
This is further bumped up tosh from the NO campaign - although there will obviously be some higher costs - even if it's only more coffee due to longer counts ;)

..but democracy is worth any cost so the notion is frivolous anyway.

You need a government with control of the treasury before costs of anything need be considered

Vote for who you want to win an election, not for who you want to come second or third or ........

Make sure your "NO" vote counts tomorrow
thumb.gif
Hmmmmm.... didn't notice a ";)"

A preference vote has no relevance at all as to who you want to come 2nd or 3rd - which is a nonsensical idea unless placing a bet - every preference is to "win"

Winner of any AV vote will be preferred by at least 50% of the electorate i.e. the majority will be happy that this person has won.

The present system will allow an MP to be elected when the majority didn't vote for that person. The worst case from the last election was a win with just 26% (possibly opposed by as many as 74% :eek:)

Never thought of you as an arch Tory Dave :( (which is the only motive for a NO vote)

Back