General Don't change the oil in the dark!

Currently reading:
General Don't change the oil in the dark!

purple haze

Beware the Panda Face.
After treating purple haze to a huge wash and brush up, buying new bits and bobs and even respraying the grille (original colour coded,, posh eh!!??) which has turned out real good if i say so myself....my thoughts have turned to the mechanics.

Tonight was the oil change!

So with oil and filter i set off to a mates house...Bugger no one tole me it had a allen key type sump plug...so off to halfords. Its started to get dark.
Plug now out....getting darker....
Oil drained....filter off....filter on....plug back in....fill with oil....start engine to pump oil round....get out detergent and jet wash....run around trying to find stuff to mop up all the oil on the floor etc etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By now its pitch black outside..we had not noticed the filter had a gap between it and the engine..

Turns out i have been sold the wrong filter.....****s....my mate had said when screwing the filter on "this is a bit tight" :confused:

Then a major problem.....went to remove the filter and the thread unscrews from the engine and is stuck tight in the filter...just about get it out...
We must have slightly damaged the thread though because it wont screw back into the engine fully!!!! :eek:

On goes the old filter and with fingers crossed i drive home. :cry:

So peed off..wot a cock up....my mate was not to happy either having his drive look like an enviromental disaster. We were washing seagulls for hours!!!

Kev

Some learning curves are steeper than others... though I've had a few steep ones in the past! :eek:
I think we all have :rolleyes:
and many a Mercedes van has shook its own sump plug out...
least you got it sussed before all the oil was lost and you'd got a knacked engine to boot...
all in all, daylight has a lot of advantages

Not too much oil comes out when you unscrew the filter...will run a tye around the thread and fingers crossed i wont have to buy a new one..i think we just flattened the thread a tiny bit...

As for the coolant...yeah its easy..but then again so the oil change should have been!!!!!

Kev

Back