Does whoops mean anything ?

Currently reading:
Does whoops mean anything ?

3 seconds is plenty warning!

Isn't it 3 seconds here in the UK?
Think you'll find it's closer to 2, which is ample. The overall stopping distance is 75' or 23m at 30 mph. A car travelling at 30 mph covers (approx.) 42'/sec. Therefore, there is no reason for anyone to go through a red light.

Think you'll find it's closer to 2, which is ample. The overall stopping distance is 75' or 23m at 30 mph. A car travelling at 30 mph covers (approx.) 42'/sec. Therefore, there is no reason for anyone to go through a red light.

untill it's on a road with a higher speed limit. it's fine if you're expecting it say at a junction, but when it's a rarely used pedestrian crossing it can sometimes catch you unawares, especially if the people have already crossed and not waiting to cross.

2secs fine on urban roads, etc, but what happens on 60/70 dual carrigeways?

try it then without stopping in an unsafe manner;)

or on a wet road, traffic lights dont take road conditions into account

true
but 2 seconds is not enough on in a 60 limit as said above

though obviously if the lights are green on approach a driver should be anticipating that they change

i am always cautious when it comes to lights. if they are green when i approach then i get ready because i know they will go red any sec...

as for lights in a 60mph zone, i always slow a bit down even of they are green as you never know...

i am always cautious when it comes to lights. if they are green when i approach then i get ready because i know they will go red any sec...

as for lights in a 60mph zone, i always slow a bit down even of they are green as you never know...

anticipating them changing yes, but what happens if they say, start to change at 10m, 2secs is not long enough for you to stop, without going through, or stopping in the middle of the juction. even if you drop to 40 in a 60 limit on the way to the lights (which is dangerous for other road users and yourself), you aint gona stop, therefore, there red by the time youve just crossed. and then you get fined(y)

Back