General does this sound a good deal?

Currently reading:
General does this sound a good deal?

symonh2000

Hi everyone, just want your opinions.. there is a 16 Valve turbo in a garage quite near me, it is in Red, on a N'plate, and has 50,400 miles showing with full history and reciepts. The car has air con, but no leather looks in very good condition and is selling for £2295 ono. The cam belt has also just been done.
Does this car sound like good value? I haven't seen it yet but may have a look tomorrow.
Also Is there anything I need to look for which tends to wear at this mileage? Clutch wishbones etc..
The car is totally standard as far as I am aware.
Many thanks,
Simon.

It sounds OK. The most important thing is how well it's been maintained. You might pay £2000 now, but if it's a bit rough it won't be long til you've paid that again!
What to watch out for - worn wishbones, smoky turbo. That's about it on a 16 VT I think.
H

Cheers mate, like you said it all depends on the condition of the car when I see it. I am familar with Fiat coupes a bit as I have almost bought them before, and I am also a fan of Alfa's. I know some of their "Charicteristics" are the same.. like the wishbones.. It also depends what credit deal he can do as I don't have the cash at present. I am going to sell my current Alfa 146ti privately though.

symonh2000 said:
Cheers mate, like you said it all depends on the condition of the car when I see it. I am familar with Fiat coupes a bit as I have almost bought them before, and I am also a fan of Alfa's. I know some of their "Charicteristics" are the same.. like the wishbones.. It also depends what credit deal he can do as I don't have the cash at present. I am going to sell my current Alfa 146ti privately though.
a lot of coupes are crash repairs. don't know why, but they seem to get through paint. i would have an inspection done. things to look out for are cambelt replacement, counter rotating belt replacement, tensioner, and idle pulleys. if the belt is not tensioned right, then problems will arise down the road.
wishbones, antiroll bars, rear torsion bars, rear calipers, handbrake cable, radiators leak, clutch slave cylinders weep, two short rubber pipes from oil housing leak, dash lights on permanent. the inspection is worth its weight, believe me.:)

Back