Technical Doblo 1.9 diesal consumption (seems high)

Currently reading:
Technical Doblo 1.9 diesal consumption (seems high)

jukedock

Hi there,
Just had my problems on my doblo sorted about the bad starting - and random cutting out.
Quite a cheapish job - and thru a main dealer.
Anyway, since then, I filled my van up to full and took a trip from Birmingham to Weston sunday, then back, and today birmingham to oxford via banbury and back again.

I actually filled up the van at the M5.M50 services !!!! so thats 25 miles from my place at least - Now my tank is nearly empty.

So I think - 70 miles (M5/M50 services) Bham - weston
100 miles back (weston to birmingham)
60 miles (bham to banbury)
30 miles (banbury to oxford)
75 miles (oxford to birmingham)

So in all I have done 335miles on a tank - seems a bit steep

Considering 75% of these miles were motorway (I travel about 75-80 mph on the Motorway) do I have a problem ?? If so what could it be ?

Many thanks

Phil

DOBLO 1.9 DIESAL (non turbo) owner 51 plate

Phil,

My wife drives at least 470 miles every weekday :eek: in her 2004 '53 plate Doblo Cargo 1.9 JTD SX. (Yes 470 miles. :worship: :worship: Wellinghborough - Sunderland - Northampton - Milton Keynes - Wellingborough). She manages this on 1 tankful.

She keeps a record of mileage and fuel used so that we can keep an eye on the mpg and thus a sign that problems may be developing.

She always fills the tank so that we can easily see how much was used to travel from the last fill up, we use the records to look for a trend - the daily mpg varies due to weather/traffic exact route taken etc.

Your posting doesn't say how much fuel you used without which any opinion as to how good your mpg was could be wildly inaccurate. (Don't believe the trip computer either, ours is consistantly optomistic by at least 5mpg when the real mpg is calculated).

To work out your mpg:

1. Fill up to the brim and record your mileage.
2. Use your Doblo and refill whenever you feel like it (we go well below a quarter left on the fuel gauge).
3. Record mileage and how many litres needed to refill to the brim.
4. mpg= (End mileage -Start mileage)/litres*4.546..... (4.546 litres in a UK gallon).

Continue doing the above and you'll notice a variation from tankful to tankful but over time you will get a better idea of how economical your Doblo is.

Hope this helps and that I'm not teaching you how to suck eggs.....

Last edited:
Good advice there from Niall_G. A few other things worth mentioning however is A) how heavy you are with your right foot, and B) how heavy your load is. If you run the van with it's maximum payload fulfilled in the back, obviously your MPG will take a bit of a battering, and so does a heavy right foot. If neither is an issue (sorry if the heavy right foot bit offends you ;)) then do a Brim check as stated in the post above. If it's still bad, then something must be wrong, and probably with how much fuel is being put into the cylinders/fuel timing.

Are you experiencing any smoking? This can be a giveaway for fuel injection problems. I would say about 35-40MPG is pretty good if it's fully laiden, and since it's not a turbo, you are using your right foot a little more than what you would on a turbo. And if you have big inclines to travel on the motorway, this can be a big killer with your foot planted to the floor.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
I get between 39-45mpg. Remember the Doblo is quite heavy for the engine size which is only 63bhp & also it is low geared, being about 21 mph per 1,000 revs in 5th gear.

Niall_G said:
Phil,

My wife drives at least 470 miles every weekday :eek: in her 2004 '53 plate Doblo Cargo 1.9 JTD SX. (Yes 470 miles. :worship: :worship: Wellinghborough - Sunderland - Northampton - Milton Keynes - Wellingborough). She manages this on 1 tankful.

How many miles has the doblo done mate out of interest?

MRT said:
How many miles has the doblo done mate out of interest?

She has more than 150,000 miles on the Doblo now. No major problems so far (other than poor workmanship from a Fiat main dealer:bang: :bang: ). Only real problem was a serious lack of power under 2000 rpm. This was traced to the EGR valve not closing properly. Took a while to find but once cleaned and refitted the van pulls like a train.:devil: :devil: :devil:

Back