Styling DIY Refurb 15" Sporting Alloys

Currently reading:
Styling DIY Refurb 15" Sporting Alloys

AyLa

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi,

Bought some 15" Sporting Alloys last week and am looking to refurbish them. I haven't done this before :D

There is curbing and wanted to ask what filler & paint is recommended for refurbishing alloy wheels?

So far I have seen:

Alloy Filler:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-ALUMI...473009?hash=item3a9943fd71:g:e4YAAOSwBahVKvJV

Paint:
Hycote Grey Primer
Hycote Satin Black
Hycote Clear Lacquer

Cheers.
Hi. There is a guy on YouTube called "Chrisfix' he's got some tutorials about refurbishing alloys.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Here you go...

Now, the wheels he is working on are without tyres. You can still refurb wheels with tyres on, use his system for cleaning and filling but deflate the tyres first, this will enable you to get something between the rim and the tyre for masking/protection purposes.

My daughter refurbed some Stilo claws, she just sanded them down, filled with alloy paste, sanded down again and sprayed. For masking the tyres she used playing cards! Take a single card and press it between the rim and tyre, then put another next to it until you've gone around the whole wheel with playing cards. An easy solution and quicker than using loads of little bits of masking tape and paper.

More links for you:

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/79509-how-to-refurb-alloy-wheels-at-home/

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1397699

clean wheel
rub down scratches with 80 then 120 then 32o
decide if filler is needed and if so use as little as possible
flat off with 180 then 320
when nice and ready for primer use 2000 wet n dry or a scotchbrite pad to slightly scuff the paint to help adhesion
personally i would use a high build primer on wheel edges and flat back when fully dry
a heat gun helps 100% in any month but flaming august
its hard to get a good finish with rattle cans but can be done
personally i wouldnt use the hicoat cans because the nozzles dont give a fan shape spray

Forgot to ask.

I am assuming the spare wheel can still be used now that I am moving from 14inch steels to 15inch alloys?

Cheers.

Forgot to ask.

I am assuming the spare wheel can still be used now that I am moving from 14inch steels to 15inch alloys?

Cheers.

Yes
The spare wheel is a GET ME OUT OF AN EMERGENCY

Its designed for 1 thing
To get you moving again to a place of repair
Weather thats Home or a garage

On the rear axle the spare makes naff all difference as it can rotate at an independant speed to the other side

on the front there is going to be a slight difference, and as a result steering may feel different, braking will be seriously reduced to the fact there is less tyre on the road

So dont drive like its a normal tyre - it isn't
its to limp you home only

Ziggy

Back