Tuning Digital Chip Tuning Boxes?

Currently reading:
Tuning Digital Chip Tuning Boxes?

nedro018

after my warranty is over i was considering one of the multitudes of Digital Chip Tuning Boxes made for the 1.3MJ engine. does anyone have one? reccomend one?

my desire is not to make this car "faster" or anything, im after the higher mpg's that they claim (which they claim because it changes the automatic shifting algorithms).

thoughts.

After my warranty is over I was considering one of the multitudes of Digital Chip Tuning Boxes made for the 1.3MJ engine. Does anyone have one? Recommend one?

My desire is not to make this car "faster" or anything, I'm after the higher mpg that they claim (which they claim because it changes the automatic shifting algorithms).

Thoughts.

Solution..

1. Save money (don't buy the box)
2. Save money (keep a light right foot, don't exceed 60 mph) [set off earlier]
3. Save money (change 'algorithm' by using the gear lever yourself when it feels/sounds right - much more economical)
4. Save money (register with petrolprices.com and find the best fuel price local to you)

R-V-M

Solution..

1. Save money (don't buy the box)
2. Save money (keep a light right foot, don't exceed 60 mph) [set off earlier]
3. Save money (change 'algorithm' by using the gear lever yourself when it feels/sounds right - much more economical)
4. Save money (register with petrolprices.com and find the best fuel price local to you)

R-V-M
Ditto RVM,
What's not needed is a chip box:bang:
LUIGI

I'm still looking into remaps for my nemo but there isn't much info or many reviews for citroens... However, I'm not really interested in economy I just want my little van to go fast!!

We've taken on a remap franchise at work a few months ago it's lists mine as goin out to 122 call me an old fashioned mechanic but can't help but think that's pushing the limits of a 1250 cc diesel ! However we are having a rolling road put in next month so will be rude not to have a play and see what she's doing as she is [emoji3]

Hi,
Remaps are a different matter to the external boxes that just mess with the sensor signals. Proper remaps work, but ideally should be specific to the vehicle and done on a rolling road. Tuning boxes seem to be very divisive, people either swear by them or at them. I don't think they work on modern engines and can cause damage. They DO give an apparent increase in MPG because the trip computer assumes correct fuel pressure when calculating the fuel flow from the injector opening time and the higher pressure gives shorter opening times so a false flow rate. My vote is NO don't do it, they don't work. I'm a professional (CEng) electronics engineer and have worked on many types of engine and control systems. I will not be enering into any discussion on this, as these threads can get silly. Others are welcome to voice their opinions.

Robert G8RPI

Last edited:
Hi,
Remaps are a different matter to the external boxes that just mess with the sensor signals. Proper remaps work, but ideally should be specific to the vehicle and done on a rolling road. Tuning boxes seem to be very divisive, people either swear by them or at them. I don't think they work on modern engines and can cause damage. They DO give an apparent increase in MPG because the trip computer assumes correct fuel pressure when calculating the fuel flow from the injector opening time and the higher pressure gives shorter opening times so a false flow rate. My vote is NO don't do it, they don't work. I'm a professional (CEng) electronics engineer and have worked on many types of engine and control systems. I will not be enering into any discussion on this, as these threads can get silly. Others are welcome to voice their opinions.

Robert G8RPI

And as a side note I've had some hellish problem when diagnosing fault on vehicle with plug in boxes masking the actual fault

Remapping is the best way to go, as long if it's from a well known company, and you don't wanna damage your engine , I suggest a mild map ( bit of power+torque and fuel economy).
Any thing more than a mild map then you're talking more stuff has to be changed ( clutch, brakes and so on ).

My previous car was vw golf mk5 TDI , had it remapped by chipped UK, put an aggressive map on it , from 105bhp although when checked on the dyno it was putting out 119 bhp , so after a remmap took it 169 bhp , it was very responsive from the lower rpm to the top, the torque was unbelievable, but a year later things started to go wrong ( clutch , then turbo blew up twice in a year ) .
So digital tuning box still altering the signal ( its cold all the time )between the common rail pressure sensor and the ECU .
Whoever is keen on buying one , spend a bit more for a proper one.
If you're that enthusiastic and know someone with a know how to ( electronics , programming etc ) . you can make it yourself . someone made it cheaply ( programmed a Arduino from eBay for a £8 ), link below.
https://hackaday.io/project/12186-diesel-tuning-box

Last edited:
Back