digi camera basics - recommend me a site?

Currently reading:
digi camera basics - recommend me a site?

Can I ask if you have a Digitial SLR (DSLR) or just a compact camera?

I think the best way to learn is just to play around with the settings yourself.

I recommend learning about things such as shutter speed, Lenses, Film Speed and Aperture. As these will have the greatest impact on your images. Unfortunately unless yo have a very good compact or an SLR you can alter these.

AS - I have no idea what this is.... (look in your manual :p)

ISO
Auto ISO - digital camera automatically sets the ISO speed according the the brightness of the scene, increasing or decreasing the sensitivity. User has no control over which ISO number is used.

ISO 80 - for taking photos in bright light; excellent for close-ups, landscape, and portraits. Produces fine detail and image quality.

ISO 100 - for extra sensitivity with little, if any, reduced image quality.

ISO 200 - cloudy and overcast days. Acceptable image quality, with some visible noise.

ISO 400 - suitable for indoor photography whether or not a flash is used. Useful for “stop-action” and sports photographs. Most compact digital cameras produce high to very high image noise.

ISO 800, 1600 and above - useful for taking photos in very low light, or outside in good light when increased shutter speeds are required. Results can be disappointing when shooting at these high numbers with compact digital cameras, so take test photos before photographing an important event.

EV- Exposure value

A cameras metering system can be fooled when taking pictures where large areas of a scene are very bright, very dark or contain strong contrast. To help prevent a photo from under or over exposure, adjust exposure values (EV).
Exposure values, represented by numbers with a plus or minus in front of them, override settings automatically selected by a cameras exposure mode. When the main subject is darker than the background, increase exposure value. If the subject is much lighter than the background, decrease exposure value.

over-exposed-trees.jpg

For overexposed subjects (too light), decrease EV.

under-exposed-trees.jpg

For underexposed subjects (too dark), increase EV.

WB - White Balance

This can be a bit more lengthy.... so here's a youtube vid... :D

Back